2. beginning of

i heard the faint sound of creaking coming from the entrance of the cafe, nearly drowned out with the sound of my coffee grinder. i leaned against the counter top and looked towards the door, just to be greeted with a long complain about something wrong with his girlfriend, from lucas.

"like how did she break up with me again, i didn't do anything this time how could she, i wish our relationship was as good as you and els-" 

"el and me broke up." i  cut him off and looked at him with a blank face. i could nearly see his jaw drop as i said it. "oh shit man i'm sorry i didn't know, but did you break up with her or something or did she," i stared at him once again with a fixed expression begging him to realize the obvious answer, but somehow still didn't get it. i finally let out a sigh and gave into his stupidity, "she broke up with me because of that fight with troy, said she didn't want to ruin her stupid reputation."

lucas looked at me nodding patting my shoulder letting out a sigh in between, an attempt to comfort me i'm presuming. 

"she doesnt deserve you,"

"yeah.i guess so"

we sat in silence, comfortable silence, while the coffee machine was grinding.the floorboard creaked opened, i sighed and leaned over the counter again to see if it was dustin or one of my friends. i slowly looked up and immediately felt my eyebrows raise and im sure my jaw dropped.

he walked in with stacks of books in his hands and walked pass me basically staring at me, he gave a smile and a little wave.

how did he even know I work here, but im not complaining.

I watched him with my eyes as he sat down in a booth next to the kitchen counter, while he put his books down I rushed to the storage room alarming lucas.

he followed me in looking around before doing so.

"yo what was that about"
"nothing just some guy"
"some guy? mike the last time you acted like this was when el flirted with you once last year"
"yeah"
"oh"
"but she just broke up with you mike"
"it's nothing me and will talked like once I don't like him like that I just he's cute"
"mike, that's what you said about el"

I looked to lucas again and just stared at him, I didn't know what to say but it felt like I had to keep the conversation going.

"get out mike he probably wants you to take his order"

I nodded back at him hesitating before gripping the door handle and opening it. I walked over to the booth he was sitting at and asked

"hey are you ready to order yet?

it probably sounded rude shit this is all lucass fault.

but he smiled back,and gave his order.

an iced strawberry latte

i smiled at the thought, he likes strawberry, i dont think im going to forget that. i walked back towards the counter starting to get the strawberries syrup out of the fridge, then the milk, but i couldn't help but steal him a glance every now and then.

"stop it you look like a creep."  i turned around and looked at lucas, so close to kicking him out, "lucas your not even supposed to be back here get out"

"no i have best friend privileges"

i rolled my eyes at his comment and topped the latte off with a few strawberries, i wouldn't do this normally but i just want to make a good first impression.

i walked over to his booth placing the drink Infront of him, he smiles and thanked me for it which often nobody does anymore.

i walked back to the counter resting my head ontop, staring at him occasionally just to make sure he didn't see me.it wasn't a busy day today, there was barely anyone around, meaning barely anyone to serve or take orders.

it was a nice day i could just sit down and look at the boy in the booth writing down in his notes with lucases occasion judging and insults.

i got so caught up looking at him that i didn't even realize he was walking towards me-, or that he even packed up his stuff.

"hey?" he waved in my face as i snapped back, i shaked my head and said, "that would be $3.10 thanks for visiting".

i passed him the receipt, but he took out a pen from his pocket and began jotting down something on it, he slid the receipt back to me before exiting the cafe, i turned around just before he left to get one final look at him but he was already gone. i picked up the receipt, it was a phone number.

i nearly screamed, i picked up the number and stared at it grinning.

+1 8*** 1** 2***

"mike your terribly creepy"

"shut up lucas i got his number"

"you didn't even ask for it loser"

"i still got it that's what matters"

he looked at me and shaked his head sarcastically giving out a slight chuckle before grabbing his bag off the floor,

"i have to go now see you tomorrow my best creep"

"bye lucas"

i watched him leave the cafe, It was empty now, just me.i checked my watch 7.43 pm i stood up and changed my clothes grabbing my back pack sitting on the counter waiting for max to come in and fill up her shift.

after waiting for about ten minutes she came rushing in, panting like crazy before going behind the counter and putting her bag down. she came back up to me and said,

"shit sorry i'm late i was doing homework in the school library and totally forgot i left my laptop here."

"its fine as long as you make me a free drink before i go tomorrow?"

she playfully hit my shoulder and walked to the storage room. i left the cafe gripping onto the receipt and smiling to myself just waiting to get home and text the number.

______________

word count: 1034

HAHA SORRY IF THIS CHAPTER SUCK CREATIVE JUICES ARE NOT WORKING i have so much exam stress right now and i really can't think of good words to expand the story line haha but next chapter will be sooner i hope 🙏