Chapter 12: More Suns in the Sky Than You Can Count

——————————🐚——————————

The Croods and Guy and (Y/n) all made camp in the giant branches of a tree and were relaxing for the first time in forever.

Thunk sat at the edge of the tree playing with his Crocopup.

"Oh, good boy! Who's a good boy? You are! Yes, you are! Look at you! You need a name. You want a name? I'm gonna call you Douglas." Thunk decided.

"Can you do tricks? Roll over." He commanded, but Douglas just sat there. "Come on Douglas, roll over."

Douglas did roll over, but he also ended up falling off the tree.

"Good boy Douglas!" Thunk yelled after him.

...

Belt sat on a higher branch shaking up a drink for Gran as she swung side to side in a hammock and told a story.

"I was in love once." She sighed. "He was a hunter. I was a gatherer. It was quite a scandal."

Belt finished shaking up the drink and poured it into a cup. He handed the drink to Sandy, who waddled over to Gran to give it to her.

"We fed each other berries, we danced...Then my father smashed him with a rock, and traded me to your grandfather." She deadpanned.

Sandy, Thunk, Eep, and (Y/n) were sitting near her, listening to her story, and they all burst out laughing.

Eep had his arm around (Y/n)'s shoulders and as he was laughing, he subconsciously pulled her closer to him. (Y/n) didn't really seem to notice, or mind. She casually laid her head on his shoulder and snuggled into him like it was the most natural thing in the world, as she laughed.

Once Eep had stopped laughing, he noticed that (Y/n) had become closer to him, and for once, she wasn't trying to run away. He wanted to enjoy every second of this moment as he sat very still so he wouldn't disturb her, and gazed down at the girl with a big dopey grin.

...

Down on the ground, Ugga and Grug approached the tree, Grug no longer lost in the maze.

"Croods!" Grug called up to them. "Get down here!"

"Grug, they're okay. Guy and (Y/n) are with them." Ugga reassured.

"Oh? Guy and (Y/n) are with them. Oh. Phew! Okay. Ha! Well, thank you. Thank you for bringing me that interesting Guy and (Y/n) update." Grug said, his voice dripping in sarcasm.

Ugga rolled her eyes and angrily turned to her husband. "Oh, okay. I'm gonna go up...and why don't you join us when you stop being a big drag!"

With that, Ugga turned around and climbed up the big trunk of the tree, leaving Grug behind, not noticing that he made a childish and mocking face at her.

Once she was gone, Grug sighed and glanced at the ground, noticing two stones. He hesitantly picked them up, and gazed back up at the tree where his family was.

"Uh, uh, sleep pile?" He suggested. He pressed the two rocks together in the hopes that he would be able to make fire like Guy and (Y/n). "How about a story, huh?"