Chapter 9: Rocky Field

——————————🐚——————————

The next morning, the ground had spilt open right next to where the Croods were sleeping. (Y/n) and Guy's log dangled dangerously over the edge.

The only thing keeping them from falling in, was Grug's hand on top of the log. Even with that, they started to tilt and slip out of the log into the lava below.

Grug grunted and shuffled in his sleep, picking up the log, so that Guy and (Y/n) were facing headfirst into the chasm. They started sliding the other way, and Guy blinked his eyes open.

He looked around for a moment and started screaming hysterically. This caused (Y/n) to jerk awake, and she noticed what was happening and began screaming too.

...

"That was too close! It almost caught us!" Guy cried as the family kept walking.

"I was watching. We were fine." Grug dismissed.

"Maybe you were! We almost fell into lava! We gotta move faster." (Y/n) insisted.

Guy nodded his head in agreement. "I concur. Do you people have any other speed aside from 'wander?' I'll take a shamble at this point."

Eep walked up to the log and looked at (Y/n). "Hey, um...do you have a minute?" He asked, tapping her nose. "How did the tiger fly?"

"Sorry Eep. But I only share when I'm not stuck in a log. I'm funny that way." She answered sarcastically.

"Don't worry pretty girl. Leave this to me." He said confidently, cracking his knuckles.

Guy and (Y/n) shared a concerned look.

Eep walked over to his brother and got his attention. "Hey, Thunk? You have a spider on your face!" He exclaimed.

"Ah!"

Eep slammed his hand into Thunk's face and knocked him into the log, sending (Y/n) and Guy flying out of Grug's arms.

Grug growled and turned back to look at Eep furiously.

"Oops." Eep shrugged.

Grug turned back and gasped. "They're loose!"

Grug ran forward and came to a big patch of pointy coral rocks, and stepped on them. He froze and let out a painful scream.

"Do not step on those weird pointy rocks!" Grug warned, hopping up and down on one foot.

"You mean these rocks?" Thunk asked and went to step on them. "Ow! Do not step on these rocks!"

Gran confidently pushed Thunk out of the way. "Step aside girls."

She walked forward and stepped on the rocks and let out a scream, jumping onto her cane.

"Hello? Nobody's listening! No one is listening. You cannot walk on those!"

Grug turned and gestured to the field of rocks, and his eyes widened in shock when he saw Guy and (Y/n) standing on the rocks with out pain.