Chapter 6: Family reunion

"J-Jackson?" I ask in shock. He smiles at me and raises his arms up for a hug.

    "Hey there sis," He says. I run into his arms and hug him. My brother has changed scents I last saw him. He still has his chocolate brown eyes, but his once dirty blond hair has turned completely brown.

    "Its been so long bro, where have you been all this time?" I ask him. I know its unusually to get along with your brother, but me and my older brother were like best friends when we were kids.

    "Once I turned 18 I left this dump and went out to the UK where I got a job offer," he says.

    "Then how come your back?" I ask him.

    "Well you see, dad called me not to long ago and told me what happened, once I heard I took the first flight to the US to see you," he says.

    "Oh," I say, "you probably think that I'm am an embarrassment now, don't you?" I ask. Jackson looks shocked, and a little offended.

    "No no sis! What I meant to say was that dad was saying horrible things about you, like things you should never call your daughter. I got so mad at him that I came here to make sure you are okay. I love you sis, and nothing can change that. Especially something like this," He explains. Tears come down my face and I hug him tighter.

    "But, we do need to talk though," He says, "come on."

    "I can't leave now! Its the middle of the school day!" I say.

    "Don't worry, I got you and your friends dismissed," He says.

    "You can do that?" Seth asks.

    "Well, I AM over 20 years old," He says.

    Afterwards, Jackson drives us to a near by coffee place and we all ordered something. I get a hot chocolate because I find coffee gross! Kana might agree with me on that because she orders the same thing, while Jackson and Seth get a coffee.

    We all take a seat at the corner of the place to make sure no one hears us.

    "So what did you want to talk about?" I ask.

    "Well I wanted to tell you something first," Jackson says.

    "Go right ahead," I tell him.

    "I was actually thinking of moving back here!" He says in excitement.

    "Oh my god Jackson! Thats great!" I squeal, "What makes you want to move back though?"

    "Well my boss is thinking about transferring me back here, plus its been awhile and I miss you and mom," the last thing he said broke my heart. I grab Kana's hand and squeeze it a little.

    "Jackson, you didn't hear the news, did you?" I ask him with sadness in my voice.

    "What news? What happened to mom?" He asks with a little panic in his voice.

    "Jackson, mom's dead."

    "WHAT?!" Jackson shouts, luckily the shop was empty besides us and a few people who just walked out, "how? When?"

    "She was diagnosed with cancer and died a few months after she got it," I say, trying to hold back the tears.

    "Why didn't anyone tell me?!" Jackson says quietly. We stay silent for a few moments, until I finally speak up.

    "She was a good person," I say, "she was nice to everyone, no matter who they were or what they were. She accepted everybody and yes she was christian, but she also supported people like me," I say. Kana rises our entwined hands above the table.

    "People like us," She says.

    "So...Are you two a thing?" Jackson asks us.

    "Yeah! They're so cute together right?! I even gave them a ship name!" Seth says in his fanboyish voice.

    "Really, Seth?" Jackson asks.

    "That is exactly what I thought!" I exclaimed. Jackson smiles at me, and then looks at both me and Kana.

    "Seth does have a point though, you two DO look cute together," Jackson says, "I don't think I properly introduced myself yet. I'm Jackson, Myra's older brother. But you probably knew that already." Kana smiles and shakes my brothers hand.

    "Its nice to meet you, I'm Kana, Myra's lady friend," She says, winking at me. After awhile we finally get to what Jackson wanted to talk about.

    "Myra, I have to ask you something," Jackson says.

    "What is it?"

    "You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but how long did you know that you were...You know," He asks.

    "As far as I know, ever since I was 12," I say.

    "Oh, and why didn't you tell anyone?" He asks.

    "I don't know, I guess I was just scared at the time. The first person I ever told was Seth, and that was a few months back," I say.

    "It's normal to be scared at first," Kana says.

    "She's right you know," Jackson says.

    After a while we all leave the coffee place and we all go home. I told Jackson to go rent a motel room or something, but he insisted that he comes with me to confront our dad.

    When we get to our, well I guess its just my house now, I open the door and of course my dad is waiting for me at the door like always. Expected instead of a happy look on his face, he looks angry at both of us, and then I notice something that is NOT a good sign. On the table in front of him is a almost empty bottle of alcohol.

    "Look who's finally home!" He says while getting up. I can smell his alcoholic breath from here.

    "Dad, its only 3, this is the usual time I get home-"

    "SHUT UP!" Dad yells at me. Jackson steps in front of me.

    "Well look who we have here," dad says, "I almost forgot I had a son who abandoned the family." He snarls at him.

    "Abandoned? Ha, thats funny. Because YOU are the one who said horrible things about your own daughter! Besides, I've always called, you just never picked up," Jackson says.

    "That's because you've never told anyone,"

    "I TOLD MOM!" Jackson yells.

    "WELL SHE'S DEAD, ISN'T SHE?" My dad yells. Jackson takes a step back. He might already know, but it still hurts him.

    "Dad! Why are you doing this?" I ask loudly. He looks behind Jackson and right at me.

    "Because you were almost the star figure of this family!" He says.

    "Wha-what do you mean?" I ask.

    "Your brother left home and your mother and I...well, lets just say we didn't feel the love anymore. You were doing good though. Getting good grades, not getting in trouble, and all out good. but then you drop the bomb on me and now you're just sick!"

    "Don't talk to her that way!" Jackson says.

    "Why? She's just like her mother! A total Bitch!"

    And with that, the room went silent. My brother pushed me toward the stairs.

    "Myra, go upstairs right now!" He says in a voice that sounds like he's holding back from screaming his head off.

    I do what he says and run upstairs. I run past the hallway before I look at a picture of my family together and happy, knowing that we will never be like that again.