Real You

The bell softly jingled as you left the store. It was a quiet night, though the streets were always bustling with business where you lived.

It appeared Chara was still not as used to it as they walked close to you and didn't seem to like getting close to strangers which was a norm for you having to take the crowded train to school everyday growing up.

Their smaller hand brushed against yours for a brief moment as if they wanted to... hold your hand?

They took their eyes from yours when you glanced back at them, however. They were too old to be hand holding, right? Most children stopped holding hands after age ten.

"So... You know how monsters get bullied at school and aren't allowed in some places?" Chara suddenly asked.

"Mhm?" You hummed.

"Why are humans like that?" Chara asked in a broken voice as if they were about to cry from the way their lip quivered. "It's... It's not fair."

"Humans don't even like other humans. People have a hard time accepting things that are different." You stopped walking, and it seemed like even the city stopped moving as the noises didn't reach your ears. "Monsters seem scary so humans want to control them to feel less afraid."

"What about you?" Chara looked up at you. "Are you scared of monsters?"

"Yes..."

They felt their heart break at your answer. You were just like every other human, weren't you?

You both watched as a Froggit hopped by, and you spoke again. "But sometimes I think they are more afraid of us than we are of them."

「??? POV」

The bus ride was smooth, but occasionally bumpy, especially during twists and turns and speed bumps.

Some monsters were still adjusting to the road and were more likely to get motion sickness.

Muffet sighed in relief as she managed to find an empty seat between a businessman and a pregnant woman, and softly giggled to herself. "Ahuhu..."

The businessman shifted away from her in his seat with a disgusted look on his face at the giant arachnid that just sat next to him, and the pregnant woman gave her a look of sympathy as she kept one hand over her swollen stomach.

"Excuse me." A young lady with a purse hanging over her shoulder stood in front of the spider monster with her arms crossed over her chest and an annoyed glare.

"It's okay, I'm getting off at the next stop." The pregnant woman stood up.

Muffet watched with all extra eyes wide as the woman stood up, holding the pole for support with a kind smile, allowing the lady to sit.

The lady crossed one leg over the other, intruding on the spider monster's personal space a bit, but she was in no position to complain.

"Is there a problem here?" A uniformed staff member of the ETC, Ebott Transit Commission, asked.

"This monster made a pregnant woman stand." The businessman lied.

"Oh no, no, that's not what happened at all." Muffet used all of her six arms to wave when she spoke. "The expecting woman said she was getting off next stop so-"

"Next stop, Ebott Avenue East." The robotic female voice on the intercom of the bus announced.

As Muffet was talking, the bus stopped and the pregnant woman, who was standing by the door, carefully stepped off the bus.

"Ma'am, please step off the bus." The staff requested, though unfair.

"But-" Muffet protested.

"Ma'am, I am going to ask you one more time to step off the bus or I will call security." The staff warned.

Muffet sadly sighed, and got off the last bus with a heavy heart, watching it drive off and abandon her in the dust as she coughed from the smoke.

「Y/n POV」

"How's work going for ya?" Sans asked through the phone. "I take it everything's working out?"

"You could say that." You said as you stood on the company roof, feeling a cool breeze, leaning on the railing and looking down at the busy street below. "How about you? You're calling me at work today, so it doesn't seem that you're busy."

You thought you could hear chatter and light music in the background from his end of the line but didn't question it.

"About that..." Sans sighed. "Magic food vendors aren't legal in a lot of places and I got a ticket yesterday so until I pay it off my license has been suspended. Say, have you ever had magic food?"

"No, actually." You answered. "There's a donut shop near my office that's a magic food vendor, but my boss always sends interns a few streets over to another donut shop. I don't think it's worth the trouble, really."

"Heh, so whaddya say I take you out sometime?" Sans suggested. "I know a good place. I come here all the time."

"You're there right now, aren't you?" You said in a suspecting tone.

"Yep. You got me there." He answered with a half hearted chuckle. "Oh yeah, and how's that kid of yours doing? Still getting into trouble?"

"No, not yet anyways." You said as you watched yet another human pass by the magic donut shop.

"I forgot to ask ya, what's the kid's name? They go to the same school as a kid I know, so I might know them."

"Chara."

Sans's pupils disappeared as his end of the line went silent.

_______________________________________

The reason Chara tried to hold our hand is because of how they were raised. Toriel babies them too much and holds their hand, so they tried to hold our hand. Sans also learned the real us as he discovers we are related to Chara.