New Home

"Where are the knives?" Chara blatantly asked as they opened the kitchen drawers.

"I don't need knives and neither do you." You simply said and ushered the child to a seat. "Your porridge is ready, and it's happy to see you."

Chara looked down at the bowl of soft cooked rice with two eggs for eyes and a strip of bacon to form a smile, curiously poking at the mushy texture with the spoon.

"So how's the human food taste?" Flowey asked from his pot on the counter, and felt cool water being poured on his head. "Hey! What is that... tap water?!"

"It's great." Chara smiled with their mouth full of rice, causing their rosy cheeks to puff like a hamster.

"I'm glad you like it." You flipped a page of the medical book you were reading. "I only know how to cook simple dishes, though I could always learn more complicated ones."

"... Do you live alone?" Chara asked, slowly chewing their food and looking around the empty house.

"Yes..." You answered, setting down your thick book with a soft thud. "Mom just left. We have more family overseas, but I don't know them very well."

"When will she be back?" Chara then asked, shifting their gaze back to you.

"Not for a while..." You shrugged indifferently, quickly noticing the way their shoulders slumped. "But don't worry. I'm sure we'll be fine either way."

"Oh."

You felt your phone vibrate in your pocket and pulled it out, smiling down at the screen.

Sans
Morning.

Sans
It's a brew-tiful day.

Sans
And juice in case
you're a juice person...

Sans
I can't concentrate.

Y/n
You're up early today...

Sans
My bro dragged me
out of bed for work.

Sans
It's the wurst.

Y/n
Worse than humans?

Sans
Humans?

Y/n
I work in HR.

Sans
Heh, I didn't expect that.

Sans
You didn't seem much
like a people person.

Y/n
No one in HR is.

Noticing the time on the top left corner of your phone screen, you widened your eyes.

"We don't want to be late, do we?" You reached up to get the smaller green coat, helping Chara put it on before buttoning up your own and rushing them to school, making it just in time as the kids were flooding into the building where a goat monster lady was supervising them on their way in.

The monster was over seven feet tall, taller than any ordinary human, and you had never felt smaller.

She appeared to be a herbivore so she couldn't eat you even if she wanted to, but at the same time, the diet of a goat monster could differ from a regular goat. Was it really true that monsters ate humans?

"Chara, my child!" Toriel crouched down to hug the child who seemed to be growing taller as time went on. "How is your new home?"

"It's good."