summer skies

summer. the month filled with new jobs and budding romance. the aroma of heavy barbecue and various snacks lingered through the summer air of hawkins, indiana.

on a yellow plaid-printed blanket sat six joyful teenagers, their legs all tangled together as they discussed their blossoming relationships and upcoming year at high school.

an amethyst purple tint invaded the late summer sky, the smell of the newly bloomed flowers lingering in the air. the emerald green leaves fell gracefully off of their trees, patiently waiting for their chance to show off their crimson red color.

scattered treats surrounded the picnic blanket, the sweet scent of blueberry muffins drifting in the summer breeze. cheerful music blissfully chorused through everyone's ears as they continuously carried on conversations with one another.

"look, i'm not saying that my girlfriend is better than yours, it's just that suzie's like a certified genius." dustin stated, before stuffing chocolate pudding into his mouth.

mike scoffed, rolling his eyes, "you do realize el has saved the world twice, right?" he said, gesturing towards his girlfriend, who was gently resting her head on his lap. she was occupied playing with a sunflower she had found earlier, too busy to engage in their conversation.

dustin playfully pouted, setting his pudding down beside him. "and yet, you still have a C in spanish."

mike glared at him, carefully shifting his position away from el. "okay, you know what-"

max furrowed her eyebrows, interrupting, "okay, how about we don't compare girlfriends?" she said, emphasizing the word, "don't."

"yeah, i second that." mike agreed, gesturing towards dustin, who jokingly stuck his tongue out at him.

"burgers will be ready in five minutes!" steve hollered from a few feet over, flipping over a piece of meat.

"thank god, i'm starving." lucas spoke, shoving chips into his mouth, with his right hand, his other being intertwined with max's hand.

steve approached the group, a navy-blue towel resting on his shoulder, "oh, and el, i also made you some eggos, you know, i-if you want some."

el smiled, sitting up from her resting position, "of course i do, thank you, steve." she replied, with a glowing grin gracing her features, mike protectively wrapping an arm around her waist.

"you two really can't keep your hands off of each other for one second, can you?" lucas snickered, causing the couple's cheeks to deepen with color.

"s-shut up, you too are literally holding hands right now, idiot." mike snapped back at him, causing max and lucas to gently break free from each other's grasp.

dustin humorously gagged, clutching his stomach, "god, all this lovey-dovey couple stuff is making me physically ill."

dustin sighed, clearly missing suzie, "at least i have you, byers." he said, holding his hand up for will to high-five. will stared at his hand, shaking his head with embarrassment becoming evident on his face.

———————————————————

the rest of the day consisted of giggles and loaded conversations. the weather had turned gloomy and dark, the once bright and cheerful mood settling down.