fortune cookie

work. it's not fun when it's stressful.

those were mike's exact thoughts at the moment. teaching middle schoolers about science for seven hours wasn't exactly easy, it was extremely frustrating at times.

and though most days were fun, the students had taken their final exam today, meaning hundreds of test to go through and grade.

mike left around 5:30, eager to visit el. el, fortunately, was having the best day ever. she couldn't wait to tell mike the big news.

mike pulled into the driveway, turning off his car. he noticed el, laying down on the couch, bundled up in a blanket.

he smiled, walking up to the door. mike inserted his house key into the door's lock cylinder, holding his school paperwork in his other hand.

el heard the sound of his keys dangling in his hands, jumping up immediately, excited to greet her husband.

mike entered the house, el walking towards him. "hey stranger." she said, staring into his eyes.

mike threw his papers on the nearby table, pulling her in for a sweet kiss. el smiled into the kiss, pulling him closer to her.

el pulled away, "how was work?" she asked, smiling brightly.

mike took a breath, "tiring. lots and lots of grading." he said, observing her chipper attitude.

"you're in a good mood today, there a reason?"

el giggled, "no reason. i'm always in a good mood, wheeler."

he smirked, "what's on the agenda for tonight?"

"well, i've been craving chinese food, so-" el replied, fiddling with the sleeve of her sweater.

"then chinese food it is."

———————————————————

"so, how were the test scores today?" el asked, fidgeting in her seat.

mike looked up from his lap, staring into his wife's eyes. "majority did pretty well, but yet again, i'm sadly not done grading so.."

el laughed at his comment, "i see."

suddenly, their waitress approached their table, carrying two trays of chinese food. she placed the steamy food on their table before attending to another table.

the delicious smell of their fresh food lingered in the air, making mike grin as he had been craving chinese food ever since el brought it up.

the waitress placed two plates on their table, filled to the brim with food. mike's dish came with a suspiciously large fortune cookie.

he ignored the unexpected cookie at first, only to start to become curious after speedily devouring his food. el didn't say much about it, sometimes giggling at her husband's oblivious behavior.

mike picked up the fortune cookie, examining its large size. "hey, um el, i didn't order this.. maybe it was a mistake or-"

"oh no, i ordered it." el spoke, biting her lip, looking at the cookie in anticipation.

mike nodded, "oh-"

el interrupted, "i have a present for you." she excitedly said, standing up to give her gift to her husband.

mike had a confused expression on his face, "what's this?"

el ignored his question, "open it." she said, motioning to the gift.

mike opened the mysterious box and pulled out two tiny pink pieces of cloth. the clothing was different, it was extremely small, almost looking like a tiny pair of socks.

mike chuckled, "what's this?"

"there's more, keep going." el said giggling, looking at the gift.

mike continued to rummage through the present, confused and amused as for what was to come. he pulled out another piece of pink cloth, coated with a small and rubbery material. it looked like a bib, a baby's bib.

mike's eyes widened, "el, what is this?"

"here, open the fortune cookie." el commanded, handing him the cookie. el was biting on her nails, eagerly waiting for his reaction.

mike carefully took the cookie out of its wrapper, cracking it open. the message slipped out, falling onto the table. mike picked up the small piece of paper, reading it immediately.

it read: a new addition to the wheeler family will soon be on the way..

mike gasped, his mouth wide open, "el.. i-is this real? are you-"

"yes, i'm pregnant." el finished for him, her smile being even more radiant than before.

mike shot up from his chair, embracing el in a tight squeeze. he smiled into her shoulder, pulling away before giving her a long, passionate kiss on the lips.

mike grinned, staring into his wife's chocolate brown eyes, "oh my god, this is really happening. you're going to be a mom."

el giggled with joy, "and you're going to be a dad."

mike pecked her on the cheek, "best news ever."

———————————————————

sorry this one is so short. part of this was inspired by @Booknrd187, go check them out!

i just started school so updates may be slower. what do you guys think? remember to stay positive and thank you for reading!

~hannah <3