beach

some boys kiss me
some boys hug me
i think they're ok
if they don't give me proper credit
i just walk away

it was a saturday afternoon. summer of 1989. the party decided that they would drive and spend the day at the beach.

they all voted to take a ride in max's white jeep, which she had just gotten for her birthday. they had been driving for a solid hour by now, and the music was blaring from the radio. the windows were rolled all the way down, and the summer breeze was blowing through everyone's hair.

they can beg and they can plead
but they can't see the light (that's right)
cause the boy with the cold hard cash
is always mr. right

max was driving, of course, with lucas in the front with her. mike and el were sitting in the second row, and dustin and will sat in the third row. the girls were mainly the ones jamming out to the music, while the boys quietly mumbled the lyrics.

"cause we are living in a material world and i am a material girl!" el exclaimed, happily singing along with madonna. mike smiled at the sight of his girlfriend being so happy.

"you have an amazing voice." mike said, looking in el's direction. "you think so?" el responded.

"oh, i know so." mike replied, giving el a peck on the lips and intertwining their fingers together.

"can you guys keep your hands off of each other for like five minutes? jesus." dustin commented, jokingly gagging.

———————————————————

"alright, we're here!" max announced, as she pulled the car into one of the parking spaces.

everyone exited the jeep, making sure to grab all of their belongings, filled with items to keep them occupied for hours at the sunny beach.

the scene was beautiful. clean beach, clear sky, clear water. the sun was high, shining over everyone like a blanket. setting up took a little longer than expected, but after it was finished, lucas scurried over to max.

"hey, max. wanna swim?" he asked, resulting in el lightly elbowing max whilst smirking.

"if only you could ask me to dance with the same courage." max joked, el giggling along with her. "is that a no or-"

"come on." max cut him off, grabbing his hand in the process. the two headed toward the ocean, smiling brightly but also blushing.

el laid peacefully on a beach chair, watching the couple playfully splash each other. when suddenly, a certain someone came running towards her.

"hey." mike said, admiring the girl in front of him. "hey, you looked like you were having fun over there." el replied, smirking.

"yeah, but i like hanging out with you more." mike said, causing el to blush.
"anyway, i was wondering if you wanted to go out to eat later. just you and me."

"..like a date?" el asked, blushing a little as mike locked eyes with her.

he smirked. "you could say that."

"i'd love too, mike!" el smiled sweetly.

"great." he said, extending his hand out for el to grab. he pulled el up, where she then dusted off any sand that was stuck to her legs. "should we join the others?" he suggested, pointing towards the ocean surrounded by playful teenagers. el nodded, then proceeded to be pulled towards the water by mike.

after an hour of fun had passed, dustin suggested that they play volleyball, leading everyone over to the net, behind everyone's towels and bags.

everyone was separated into two teams; el, max, and dustin on one team and mike, lucas, and will on the other. it wasn't until the start of the game that mike noticed troy and his friends hanging out near by. mike tried to ignore their presence, focusing on the game and his girlfriend.

they had started the game, will taking the first serve. he hit the ball and it plummeted across the court, where max then hit it back, where it proceeded to fly towards lucas and so on. the ball went back and forth, each team managing to have an equal number of points throughout the whole game.

it was then where will captured the ball near the back of the court, before pounding it over towards el, where she hit it over the net for no one to hit it back.

sighs and cheers roared through the air as each team found their position of either winning or loosing. troy happened to be watching the party play, and decided to join in on the celebration. troy ran over toward el and picked her up by the waist and spun her around whilst everyone else crowded round and cheered.

"el, you did it!" max shouted, giving el a high-five. troy soon put el down while the opposing team came over to congratulate them.

"good job, el!" lucas said, also giving el a high-five. mike then came over to el, pulling her closer to him. he then planted a soft kiss on her lips, pulling away and angrily glaring at troy.

"well done, babe." he smiled sweetly, intertwining their fingers together before protectively grabbing el's waist.

el grasped mike's hand tightly, giving it a squeeze. mike directed el towards the ocean again as everyone was taking a stroll along the water. they had left their belongings behind, as they would be back.

"hey, mike, what's going on with you and troy?" el questioned quietly, looking at everyone else in front of them.

"i honestly don't know. he's been giving me strange looks ever since the volleyball game.. but, i don't like how he's acting around you, el. mike sighed, looking at his girlfriend.

el paused, causing mike to stop as well. the rest of the party carried on with walking along the water's edge, not noticing that el and mike had stopped. el lifted up her arms and wrapped them around mike's neck whilst looking into his eyes.

"you really shouldn't care about how he acts, you know. i love you and only you." el said, smiling, giving mike a quick kiss on the lips and then continuing to walk towards the others.

after the stroll down by the beach's edge, everyone had headed back to their beach setup area. el found herself down by the water, gazing at the breathtaking orange sunset. she became shocked as soon as an unfamiliar pair of hands met her shoulders.

"isn't beautiful?" troy spoke, smirking.

"um, yeah." el said, uncomfortably, as she tried to shift out of his grasp. that was when mike came stomping over with an angry look painted on his face.

"what the hell do you think you're doing?" mike exclaimed, making everyone jump. el stood awkwardly in between the fighting pair, looking over at max for support.

"nothing, frogface." troy replied, giving mike a glare.

"how about you stay away from my girlfriend, okay?" mike shouted, grabbing el's wrist.

"oh, she's your girlfriend? wow. she could do a lot better with that little body of hers." snarled troy, causing el to become uncomfortable with his comment.

el stepped forward to speak, but mike had already beat her to it. mike shoved troy by his shoulders, causing him to stumble a bit before regaining his balance once more. el's eyes widened with shock and fear, scared to see what her boyfriend would do next.

"what did you say, dipshit?" mike furiously spoke. "i said you're girlfriend has a smoking hot body that i wouldn't mind getting on." troy said, smirking. mike becoming even more irritated, threw a punch to troy's face.

"oh, you're dead, wheeler! dead!" troy fired back.

———————————————————

part 2 is next! this one is a bit longer than my first one. what do you guys think? remember to stay positive and thank you for reading!

~hannah <3