promposal

april 29, 1988: two weeks before prom

hey el, sorry i missed your call. i know i was supposed to be over today, and i'm sorry. i've been out with max, we've just been um- hanging out and stuff, a-and i miss you. i'll see you tomorrow, and i can't wait for our date. i love you, babe.

el sighed, putting the phone back in its place. it had been like this for a week. a whole week. she barely saw him; even at school he was distant.

el grew concerned that her boyfriend was spending so much time around max. max was her best friend, and el loved her, but she couldn't help but feel a little jealous.

el would catch mike and max talking to each other alone at school, walking together to the mall, and with each day passing el became more worried.

the pair had been dating for quite awhile now, which scared el. was he getting bored of her? was she not good enough for him anymore? el just knew he didn't love her anymore.

even though mike constantly told el he loved her, he still found ways to talk to or hang out with max.

el was worried she was going to lose her boyfriend.

———————————————————

school. the only place el could see mike. though, of course, he was always with max. el grew annoyed.

el aggressively shoved her books into her locker, walking off in annoyance before getting caught by a pair of arms.

"hey! you ready for our date tonight?" mike happily exclaimed, kissing el on the cheek.

el put on a fake smile, "yeah, i'm excited."

"h-hey, are you okay, babe?" mike said, concern rising in his voice.

"yeah, no, i'm good, i've just had a super stressful day." el replied, shifting away from his touch, before walking off.

~time skip~

it had been a few minutes since mike and el arrived at their date location. mike had set it up himself, which el thought was cute.

their seats were placed on a small dock, right next to a lake. fairy lights were positioned just above them, creating the perfect lighting effect. beautiful flowers surrounded the area, giving it a pop of color.

"so, how was your day? mike asked, picking at his salad. he fidgeted in his chair, smiling at his girlfriend softly.

el smiled, giggling at his nervousness. "for the most part, it was great. i got an A on the science test today.."

mike wasn't looking at her. he was looking down at his lap, his nerves increasing.

el frowned, leaning in closer to mike, "h-hey, are we okay? you've been really distant lately and-"

mike cut her off, taking a breath, "i know.. el, i just, i don't know how to say this-"

el felt her stomach drop.

this is it, he's breaking up with you. he's breaking up with you. right before prom too!

el tried to remain calm, carefully listening to what he had to say.

"come with me." mike said, grabbing el's hand, lifting her out of her seat.

mike positioned her in the middle of the dock, before walking over to a nearby record player. he fidgeted with the music disc until it started to play a familiar tune.

every breath you take
and every move you make
every bond you break
every step you take
i'll be watching you

el felt her eyes starting to get glossy, "mike."

he took her hand, "el, you are the sweetest, funniest, and most gorgeous girlfriend anyone could ask for. i honestly feel so lucky to have you. i know i've distant, a-and i'm sorry. but there was a reason behind it.."

every single day
and every word you say
every game you play
every night you stay
i'll be watching you

suddenly, max and lucas sprung out from behind some bushes, holding up a sign that read: will you be my date to the prom?

dustin and will appeared behind them.

el gasped, putting her hands over her mouth.

mike turned to his girlfriend, staring into her eyes. "what do you say?"

"yes! of course i'll be your date!" el exclaimed, smiling brightly, hugging her boyfriend tightly.

the two shared a passionate kiss, both smiling into it.

mike pulled away, "just so you know, max was just helping me set up and everything.. just in case you took it the wrong way."

el giggled, "no, i wasn't jealous at all."

mike smirked at her, letting out a small laugh. "okay, fine! i was a little jealous."

he chuckled, "i love you."

el placed a kiss on his cheek, "i love you too."

———————————————————

this is kinda trashy :( sorry it's so short, but anyways, what do you guys think? remember to stay positive and thank you for reading!

~hannah <3