Carving Hearts

Title: Carving Hearts

Genre: Non-Teen Fiction/Teen Fiction?, Mystery/Suspense, Thriller

Description: Harley Zapone is one of the most notorious detectives known to the United States. With no unsolved homicides decorating her resume, she is highly decorated and respected by every police officer that serve from New York to California. But Harley wasn't always like that. In fact, her fame comes from her biggest nightmare. Kidnapped by Dr. Jekyll, an infamous serial killer who plagues the New England area. Physically and emotionally scarred by her near death encounter with the killer, Detective Harley Zapone has jounried the long road back from recovery and has vowed to never leave a case unsolved, and she still stands by that vow. But when her nightmare comes back to haunt her, Harley's life begins to fade into the crimson liquid that she almost drowned in nearly four years before.

Piece:

Sweat dripped glided down her hot skin as she ran blindly, eyes watering and pulse racing. Her feet beat against the ground with every thundering srtide, running for dear life. Darkness pulsed in her vision and fear rose in her nerves as trees flashed by in her vision. Her sweat-dampened, black hair hung limply in front of her eyes, other strands sticking to her drenched skin. Her muscles were tight, strained, and begging for rest. But she couldn't stop running. No, she had to keep runing. If she stopped now, she'd never get away from him. She was sure; he was right behind her. She could practically hear his breath in her ear, chills racing down her spine in terror.

"Harley." She couldn't hear him; her own blood was pumping loudly in her ear, disabling any other noise. She couldn't even hear her own beating heart anymore. She couldn't hear her raspy breath, or even feel it in her throat. 

"Harley!" The voice was faint, but terrifying. He was getting closer, his footsteps breaking sticks and crushing leaves. No, he was getting close. She had to run faster, she had to get away from him. But she was bleeding, leaving a red trail for him to follow. She knew she was a goner.

"Harley!" She felt someone grip her arm, but before she screamed, she blinked and saw the face of her partner, his soft eyes staring at her with concern. Harley blinked, reaching a hand up to touch her face; sweaty, very sweaty, but not bloody. 

"You alright?" Rick Morrison asked sternly yet carefully, gripping Harley's shoulders firmly. She blinked a few times,  her mouth too dry to speak. After a moment, she nodded. She was at the gym, just the gym, and all she had been doing was running on a treadmill. She breathed a deep sigh of relief, looking around at the other familiar faces that were working out around her. Rick had been one of them; she could tell by the rivulets of sweat that were treading down his caramel skin.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Harley finally ground out in a short, quick gasp. Rick sighed, dropping his head for a moment before looking back up at her with a look.

"Yeah right, Zapone," he chuckled breathlessly. "C'mon, you and I are done for the day," he said, grabbing his towel and walking me towards the door. I attempted to argue, but he gave me a pointed look and pushed me out into the cool, fresh-yet-stale, New York City air.