Chapter 12

Upon arriving home, Yeji looks at her phone to see a mass of texts from Ryujin.

She glances at the notification banners on her lock screen, before decisively turning her phone off. Leaving it on her desk as she gets ready to call it a night.

She knows it's unfair to Ryujin, but the overwhelming sense of insecurity that Heejin stirred within Yeji  took over her thoughts. She was practically going about her evening routine in a mindless manner, trying desperately to fight off any thoughts yet failing completely.

Ryujin's messages are still left unread as Yeji lies in bed, her eyes closing as she falls into a fitful sleep.

---

It's the following day and Yeji woke up to a pounding headache.

She expected as much, but she still hoped maybe the universe can spare her just this once.

As Yeji gets out of bed, she checks her phone that's still placed on her desk, right where she left it.

It seems Ryujin's texts basically doubled in size overnight, her last text being 5 hours ago.

ryujin: text me when u wake up, ok? i hope ur feeling better by then. drink lots of water and eat well.

Seeing Ryujin's messages expressing her worry only leave deepen the sickening feeling brewing in her stomach.

Ultimately, Yeji ignores her.

---

After a long study session on campus (more-so to avoid Ryujin and the overwhelming mass of emotions she's feeling rather than actual study). She finds herself entering a convenience store near where she lives. Craving her favourite snacks to hopefully lighten her already damp mood.

Yeji was met with the last person expected to see upon entering the snack aisle.

"Yeji?"

"Jimin?"

Both girls stare back at each other in equal surprise. Yeji wonders what kind of sick coincidence it has to be for her to see Jimin, here at a convenience store of all places, especially after how she left the previous night.

Jimin's wearing a white cap and a black mask to cover a majority of her face.

"What are you doing here?" Yeji asks.

"I just finished practice and I was craving snacks... You?"

Yeji turns back to the snacks before her, "I just finished studying and I was also craving snacks."

A tense silence falls upon them.

Yeji's not sure whether or not to continue the conversation. A small part of her hopes Jimin doesn't, not ready to talk about the events that have transpired the night before just yet.

"Hey..."

Yeji turns back towards Jimin, who's looking at curiously.

"Are you feeling better? From last night?"

It's when Jimin asks that question when Yeji knows. She knows that Jimin knows something is wrong, but she doesn't ask directly.

She appreciates Jimin's poor attempt at subtlety.

"Yeah..." Yeji replies after some hesitation, to which Jimin's eyes squint in scrutiny.

"Come on."