CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

Evelyn spent the next few months bored. It didn't take too long for her to make her way through all of the interesting books in the many libraries, and soon she was left with nothing to do.

With nothing interesting to do, Evelyn turned to eavesdropping. After all, if she were to be living inside of the house, she wanted to know it well. Despite Tom doing his best to set up enchantments around the Manor, Evelyn found her way around them.

Every week, the listened in on their meetings, she listened for his progress, his downfalls, his tasks, she listened in on everything she could. After every meeting, she made a mental note of what had been discussed and listened out for it being mentioned around the Manor.

And in those few short months, she learnt more than she had working at the Ministry for years; whatever Tom had been doing, he had been hiding well. But in every meeting, the same phrase came up 'The Order', Evelyn assumed it was some kind of group, but that was all she could uncover from his meetings.

"Evelyn," she turned from her usual spot in the library to see Lucius Malfoy staring down at her. Without his father present, Evelyn had become much more able to enjoy his presence, Lucius had become some sort of ally for her. "She had the baby," the way he spoke suggested his news was no more than him purchasing a new coat, "we've named him Draco."

"After the constellation?" She asked him.

"No, it's the Latin for-"

Evelyn didn't let him finish, "for dragon." She paused, "ah sorry!" Ever since reading all those books, she had found herself brimming with knowledge, wanting to share it with anyone who could be interested. She wished to retrieve all the knowledge she once held all those years ago in Hogwarts, she wanted to remember what it was once like to be a Ravenclaw.

"Yes, anyway, your presence is requested downstairs."

Evelyn huffed, she had not had her presence requested since all those months ago, she had roamed free wherever she pleased. "Now?" When Lucius nodded, she raised her brows, "lead the way then..."

She followed him down through the maze of a Manor, a maze she had only just been able to navigate herself. Lucius took her to the hall of the Manor, pausing outside momentarily, "he would like you to enter."

Evelyn furrowed her brow, "okay." She watched as he pushed the door open, and her mouth fell. It was not just Tom she was meeting, it appeared she was meeting everyone. "What is this?" She asked quietly before she entered the room, she wasn't going in until she knew what was happening.

"I think it best I explain," she turned to see Tom stood in a dark cloak at the head of the table, "do enter."

And like a puppy following her trainer, she did. She made her way towards where he stood, too afraid to look at who else was in the room, "explain." She tried to be confident, but she had nothing, it came out like a quiver.

"Considering it seems you hear almost everything that happens in these meetings anyway," he trailed off, "I suppose it might make sense that you attend one," he pulled out a chair for her next to Lucius, "sit and say nothing." His last words were cold.

Evelyn took her seat and glanced at the people sat around the table, she recognised so few of them. It seemed that those who were granted a seat at his table was a rapidly changing group; there was no Sara, no Astrea, no Abraxas. Instead, there was a whole new host of recruits staring her down.

"Dolohov continue," he looked at the young man expectantly.

"Absolutely my Lord." Dolohov nodded at him, "along with Lestrange, Malfoy, Rosier and Nott, we were able to kill the brothers. I believe the Order is now much smaller than it was before, but still, never any competition for you, my Lord." He bowed his head.

Evelyn felt Lucius beside her shuffle, "yes it was quite a task, I believe there may be far less members, but they appear to be gaining strength."

"How?" Tom shot back, "how could this be?"

"Well-"

"Not you Lestrange."

Lucius spoke again, "I believe it is Albus' doing. He has recruited an Alastor Moody; we believe it is him who was able to capture Rosier."

"And why has nothing been done about this man?" Tom almost seemed bored, rather than angry, but Evelyn knew this could change in a second.

"He has been very elusive; Nott has been unable to track him down as of yet-"

A man, Evelyn assumed to be Nott cut in, "my Lord, I have made much progress. I believe him to be residing with another member of the Order, one Edgar Bones. I will make haste in identifying his location at once!" Nott seemed to shake as he spoke, speaking so quickly Evelyn feared he may combust.

"Adrian," upon hearing his first name, Nott quivered. "If you fail to locate this Edgar Bones by the end of the week, your wife will get a visit from Greyback. I am sure he would be pleased to know she has just given birth, would he not?"

"Absolutely my Lord, without fail my Lord." He gulped, "I will not fail you my Lo-"

"Enough." Tom said harshly, before turning to face another at the table, "Bella? How goes your task?"

"More protections have been set up my Lord. It is entirely impenetrable; I was thinking we could test the defences with a prisoner."

"Bella, we should not need to test them, if they require testing, they are not enough you foolish girl." He spat out at her, "I never thought you would disappoint me like this, it really is a shame," he reached into his pocket, clutching at his wand.

"No!" She called out at once, "my Lord of course! Of course I must add more, how foolish of me. It is not enough. Of course it is not." She spoke so rapidly Evelyn could barely understand her words.

"Perhaps I should have given the task to someone else, perhaps you are not capable..." His words made her shake her head rapidly.

"No no my Lord." She pleaded, "this is mine. I promise."

Tom sighed, "you have one more day Bella, do not fail me." He dropped his wand back into his pocket, "now, everyone leave us be," he turned to look at Evelyn once everyone had gone, "wasn't that much better than listening through the floorboards in the upstairs study?"

Evelyn felt herself flush, of course he knew. Nothing could happen in this house without him knowing. "Much better," she gulped, he seemed an entirely different person when he spoke to his followers. "Why do you treat them like that?"

"Like what?" But he didn't let her reply, "like followers? Evelyn, they exist to serve me, they follow me, they look to me for guidance, I am simply guiding them, and I do not wish to guide anyone who proves incompetent."

"Is that all they are to you? Are they just followers?" It was almost sad to see.

"What more would they be? I need nothing more than followers, I do not need the same companionship that some fools seek out, I thrive alone. I need followers, and I need..."

"Yes?"

"You," he said simply. "It is you."