CHAPTER TEN

Dumbledore was unsurprised when he saw Tom Riddle walk into his office ten years later: he had been expecting Tom would return to Hogwarts sooner or later. "Good evening, Tom," said Dumbledore easily. "Won't you sit down?"

"Thank you" He began taking the seat to which Dumbledore had gestured. "I heard that you became headmaster." His voice was colder than Dumbledore could remember from his time at Hogwarts, his features seemed almost distorted from all the darkness running through his veins. Dumbledore could sense the change. "A worthy choice I believe."

"I'm glad you approve." Dumbledore smiled at him, taking a liquorice lace. "May I offer you a liquorice lace or a drink?

"A drink would be welcome. I have come a long way to see you"

Dumbledore waltzed over to the tall cabinet he had kept in his office ever since earning the title of Headmaster. He poured himself, and Tom, a goblet of wine before returning to his desk. "So Tom." He paused. "To what do I owe the pleasure?

"They don't call me 'Tom' anymore. These days, I am known as-"

Dumbledore quickly cut him off. "I know what you are known as, but to me, I'm afraid you will always be Tom Riddle." He smiled pleasantly at Tom. "I guess that is one of the irritating things about teachers. I am afraid they never quite forget their charges' youthful beginning." He raised his glass, as though toasting to Tom.

"I am surprised you have remained here so long," Tom said after a short pause. "I always wondered why a wizard such as yourself would never wish to leave school."

"Well, to a wizard such as myself, there can be nothing more important than passing on ancient skills, helping hone young minds. If I remember, you once saw the attraction of teaching too."

"I see it still." Said Tom. "I merely wondered why you —who are so often asked for advice by the Ministry, and who have twice, I think, been offered the post of Minister —"

"Three times at the last count, actually." Dumbledore smiled. "But the Ministry never attracted me as a career. Again, something we have in common, I think.

Tom inclined his head, taking another sip of his wine as he soaked in the silence. "I have returned," he said, after a little while, "later, perhaps, than Professor Dippet expected. But I have returned, nevertheless, to request again what he once told me I was too young to have. I have come to you to ask that you permit me to return to this castle, to teach. I think you must know that I have seen and done much since I left this place. I could show and tell your students things they can gain from no other wizard."

"Yes, I certainly do know that you have seen and done much since leaving us," he said quietly. "Rumors of your doings have reached your old school, Tom. I should be sorry to believe half of them."

"Greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies. You must know this, Dumbledore."

"You call it greatness what you have been doing, do you?" Dumbledore could feel himself begin to tiptoe in the conversation rather than stride.

"Certainly." As he spoke, his eyes began to turn red. "I have experimented; I have pushed the boundaries of magic further, perhaps, than they have ever been pushed —"

"Of some kinds of magic," Dumbledore corrected him, placing his goblet down on the desk."Of some. Of others, you remain, forgive me, woefully ignorant."

At this, Tom almost smiled. Rather than a look of happiness associated with a smile, what Dumbledore saw was a taut leer, verging on the edge of rage.

"The old argument," Tom spoke softly. "But nothing I have seen in the world has supported your famous pronouncements that love is more powerful than my kind of magic, Dumbledore."