CHAPTER ELEVEN

Evelyn felt his firm grip on her arm, but she couldn't pull away, she felt some sort of magnetic connection, pulling her closer. She wanted to speak, but she couldn't, instead Tom dropped her hand and made the first move.

"Evelyn, you look in far better shape than when I saw you last," he raised his arms and all the doors closed in an instant, "just a precaution you see."

But Evelyn couldn't even move, she couldn't get her lips to move, let alone her limbs.

"It's wonderful to see you again," he took a step closer to her but as much as she wanted to pull away, she couldn't, it was a though an invisible string was holding her close to him. "I had been wanting to speak with you, you see, it truly hurts me how we left off when we last interacted, and I would like to extend my sincerest apologies."

"You can't feel hurt," she felt the words tumble from her lips without a second thought.

"Very true," he nodded, "but I have found that a mention of that feeling makes for an irresistible apology."

"Even when you do not mean it?" Tom Riddle didn't say sorry, it wasn't him.

His lips curled, "even when I do not mean it."

"Well carry on then," she pressed him, "you have a lot more apologising to do."

"I have no more I wish to apologise for."

She huffed, "so that's it? Is that why you kidnapped me, to apologise?"

"Oh of course not," he took another step closer, "we have a lot more to do together than just apologise."

"And what would that entail?"

"I thought you might like us to revisit our time together," again he moved closer, "I have heard that you seek knowledge, knowledge that I possess."

Her eyes rolled, an odd sense of calmness overcoming her, "I want nothing you have," she looked him up and down, "I would like what's mine, but I can go without if you are the one to provide it." As much as she craved her memory back, she craved safety from Tom more, the only true memory she had of him was of him using an Unforgiveable on her. He had looked her in the eye and done the one thing she thought no one would ever do.

"What's yours? You mean ours; I think. Those memories were ours, we shared them, and why do you seem too eager to be rid of me?"

"Isn't it obvious Tom?" His name somehow felt normal on her lips once more, but he grimaced upon hearing it. "Tom? Is that not your name?"

"It was a long time ago. I am no longer referred to by that muggle name," he spat, "my followers call me by the name I fashioned, the name I deserve, I am Lord Voldemort."

Evelyn didn't say a word. She had heard of his new name, but only in whispers. It was unknown information to the Ministry, and therefore unknown to her. "Well, isn't it obvious why I wish to be rid of you?" She avoided his name, old or new, "you are a monster. Have you not seen what you've become?"

"Oh Evelyn," he almost laughed, "I am no monster. I have taken what was mine, I have claimed the power that others have desired, but never had the strength to claim for themselves. I have done what thousands of men failed to do before me, I should be worshipped by all, not just few. A monster would not be followed in the way that I am, a monster would not hold such power over all, a monster would not do what I do. I am no monster; I am so much more."

Evelyn recalled seeing his followers on those many nights ago, they were cloaked, hidden from all. "If you have such power, then why do you have such fear? You have it all do you not?"

"I have no fear, Evelyn." He said harshly.

"You hide," she gestured to his cloaked figure, "you hide yourself. You lead this great army, but you hide yourself and you hide them. What about this power are you trying to hide?"

"You think I am hiding?" He was now so close to her she could feel his warm breath on her face, "I do not hide." With that, he lifted his arms and pulled the cloak from his head.

Evelyn froze. He was nothing like what she had heard. His once pristine face was tortured, scars tracing around his pale face, distorting his features.

"This," he stepped closer, "this is what power looks like. And you do right to fear it."

Evelyn wished to say she didn't fear it, but she did. There was something about him stood there before her that formed a lump in her throat. He looked incomplete, as though he wore a mask of his own face, as mask that didn't quite match up. His features looked blurred, as though they were covered in hot wax.

"You-" she swallowed hesitantly, "you..."

"You don't have to say anything, in fact, I would prefer if you didn't." He put the cloak back on, leaving just his lips exposed. "Now, might I show you to your room?"

Evelyn shook her head, "my room? I am not staying with you."

"Really? You have nowhere else to go, I'm sure you'll find my manor quite comfortable." He titled his head at her, "I have a whole room set up for you."

"I am not stay here." She reached her hand into her pocket, but it was empty.

"You do not need your wand." He informed her, "you won't be doing any spells whilst you are here Evelyn."

"So what will I be doing then?" She crossed her arms.

"That is something you will be informed of another time. For now, I have business to attend to," he raised his arms, opening the door in an instant, "Regulus, show the girl her room."

"The girl?" She laughed lightly, but Tom was already gone, replaced instead by a tall curly haired boy who bowed gracefully upon entering the room.

"My Lord," he daren't look him in the eyes, instead bowing down at his feet before making his way towards Evelyn. "Do follow me," he instructed her.

Evelyn looked the boy up and down, "what if I do not want to?"

"The Dark Lord has allowed me to do whatever I must for you to obey." He gave her a stern look.

Evelyn grimaced, "oh he has allowed you, has he?"

Regulus simply nodded, sliding his wand down into his hand, "I would rather not force you to comply."

She sighed, "then lead the way."

He led her out of the hallway, towards a sparkling, marble staircase, "upstairs," he stated.

Every step she took, her shoes rattled against the marble, her heart falling as she delved deeper into the Manor. As much as they had felt unnervingly calm around Tom, it began to dawn on her how trapped she truly was. Dumbledore had likely not been expecting her back, Lily had watched as she left, Daniel and Olive wouldn't be waiting for her. Nobody would know where she was, even she was unsure of her own whereabouts. But now, she was stuck. For some reason, she was here, following some strange boy in the same way he was following another.

"This is you," she snapped back to reality, staring into a quaint room at the top of the Manor. "Step inside."

Evelyn took a hesitant step into the room with an awkward smile. The small room was just tidy enough to show it had been cleaned for her, but with just enough life to show someone had once lived here. A small armchair sat in the corner; books bundled on top of it. "Am I not too old for The Toadstool Tales?" She fumbled the book in her hands, showing it to Regulus.

"The Dark Lord thought you would enjoy the distraction."

She rolled her eyes, "the Dark Lord thought wrong."

"Trust me," he took a step closer to her, gripping her arm, "you will need the distraction. It will get lonely being alone," and with that, he shut the door, locking her in without another word.