CHAPTER FIVE

Tom Riddle already knew that he would kill Hepzibah before he even met her. He had been planning it for months and when\ inspiration had struck in the morning, he finally had his weapon.

"I do apologise for her, she's reaching her expiration date." She smiled at Tom, looking back at the house-elf behind her who seemed to be caught in a daze. "Now, where are we going?" She looked around the small shop, returning her gaze to the boy shortly after.

"Do follow me." He led her up a short winding staircase into the attic. "Hot chocolate?" He asked, turning to her and pointing her towards a seat.

"Oh absolutely boy. I always appreciate a warm drink before a discussion." She took her seat and watched as Tom Riddle prepared her drink, adding various powders and liquids into a large mug. She took a swig of her hot chocolate. "Wonderful cocoa you've made me. You must tell me the secret ingredient, it tastes divine."She gulped again from her mug. "Let's get down to business then boy, I have places to be."

"Well, I wouldn't have reached out to you if you weren't of interest to me. You see, I have a great interest in ancient treasures or historical artefacts and once I heard about the ones in your possession, I simply had to verify it. Although Borgin and Burkes would be filled with pride if you sold or donated your artefacts, simply viewing them would be such a great pleasure. It would be interesting simply to hear about them if you would feel comfortable with that." He crossed his hands in his lap, leaning forward as though he were interested in what Hepzibah was about to say.

"Alright boy. Listen closely because I likely won't repeat this, when my parents were made aware that I was descended from Helga Hufflepuff, they were killed almost instantly. It was put down to a random killing, but you and I both know that wouldn't be true."

Sensing now would be the time to be empathetic, Tom placed a hand on her shoulder. "I know how you must feel, I never knew my parents. I didn't even know I was a wizard until I was invited to Hogwarts."

"Oh my boy, it is tough isn't it?" Her hand held his on her shoulder momentarily. "Anyway, soon after that, people started knocking on my door, powerful people that I wasn't ready to deal with yet. For most of my life, I've had to run from those who wished to exploit me. Relatives even taught me dark magic to protect myself on the rare occasion that I might need it. A few years ago, I opened my door and sat outside was a giant parcel. No note, no nothing which I found to be rather rude of the sender mind you. Inside that parcel was Helga Hufflepuffs cup and nothing else. I expected a note or something but nevertheless, I knew that it being in my possession meant that it was mine to protect. With a bit of help, I kept it locked up at Gringotts, protected by rare magic so that nobody could take it."

Tom leant in further, hoping she would divulge the details of the security enough that he would be able to bypass it and simply swipe the cup.

"Anyway my boy," She started to get up from her seat, making a few attempts before being able to lift herself fully. "Thank you for the hot chocolate but I really must be going, Hokey and I get agitated without our morning nap. Maybe in a few days, I'll return to tell you the rest."

Sure enough, she did. A few days later, Hepzibah Smith waltzed in through the shop doors with Hokey still trailing behind her. "Any more of that hot chocolate left?" She smiled at Tom who was waiting behind the counter impatiently, as he had been since she left.

"For you, of course." He gave her his winning smile and followed her upstairs to the attic once more. As they had done previously, Hepzibah took her seat and watched on as Tom made her drink.

"Where was I last time?" She asked, beckoning Hokey to sit beside her.

"You had just mentioned how you kept the cup at home, you were given it rather mysteriously weren't you." He finished making her hot drink and brought it over to her.

"Ah yes!" She recalled the memory from just a few days ago. "Well after I kept it there for a while I began to read about a series of vaults being broken into and although I knew the cup would likely be safe, I didn't fancy risking it; now I keep it somewhere nobody can find it."

Just as Tom felt himself about to ask where that was, he found himself stopping, afraid of off-putting Miss Smith. "If you were to leave it with me here at Borgin and Burkes, I would be able to assure it's security with absolute certainty."

"That's a very large if boy." She took a sip of her hot chocolate, staring down the mug at Tom. "Now I have nothing to do with the old things. I expect they'll likely be given to whoever else is a descendant once I pass."

"Miss-" Tom began.

"Please, call me Hepzibah."

"Hepzibah, I can assure you Borgin and Burkes would be willing to pay a very large sum of money for those treasures. You could bring them in tomorrow for me to assess and I'm sure would be able to come to a more than reasonable price." He was so close he could almost taste it.

"I suppose I owe it to you to at least consider whatever offer you make when I bring them in. You have listened to me natter for far longer than most others would. Come on Hokey let's go and get them, I'll be back before you close." Hokey and Hepzibah rose from their seat, going as fast as they could down the stairs and out of the shop.

Several days ago, he had pocketed the necklace found downstairs in the glass cabinet and taken the poison, replacing it with something far weaker when he returned it. Tom stayed in the attic as he waited. Shop traffic was slow enough that being downstairs was unnecessary. He watched the hours tick by on the clock that hung firmly from the attic walls, rising every few hours to check if Hepzibah was waiting for him downstairs.

Eventually, he heard the door swing open and instantly he knew it was Hepzibah. She bounced up the staircase, with Hokey running behind her to keep up the pace. "Tom, as soon as I get another one of your marvellous hot chocolates, I'll be able to show you my treasures again, I know how much you were excited by them last time. It took me quite a while to find them so a hot drink is exactly what I need." She took her usual seat again, as Tom fell into his routine and began preparing the hot drink.

Tom took his time making the drink, getting all of the ingredients out as slowly as possible. "Why don't you start taking them out for me to assess, the drink is taking a particularly strange amount of time to perfect?" He shot her a charming smile.

"Of course dear," She turned to Hokey, who sat beside her glaring mindlessly at the walls of the attic. "Do help me out Hokey."

Hokey took her time, slowly grasping the objects from Hepzibah's bag and placing them on the table. As soon as both the cup and the trophy were on the table, Tom knew it was time to strike. He slipped a slither of poison into the hot chocolate, mixing well to hide the stench that he recalled all too well.

"Here you go Hepzibah." He handed her the mug, watching eagerly as she took her first sip. "Drink it all up, I made an extra special batch for this occasion." She eagerly took another large gup, taking in the majority of the drink.

"Oh, Tom you do treat me well, in fa-" Before she could muster another word, the mug fell from her hand, crashing against the attic floor. Hokey stood watching, frozen, as the light drained from Hepzibah's eyes.

"Oh dear Hokey," Tom smiled deviously. "What have you done?"