CHAPTER TWO

Evelyn didn't utter a word. Her bushy eyebrows raised as she gave Tom the once over, unsure of what she was truly seeing. She'd read the news, she knew what he was after but she never truly expected to see him.

In the silence, Tom's eyes began to wander until they settled on the wall behind her. Newspaper clippings, school photos and official documents were plastered across the wall, each and everyone with his face on.

"Someone's done their homework," he whispered, taking another step towards her. "Quite an impressive collection you have here, it seems you've been following me well. Nice to see you're interested in my life after Hogwarts but it's a shame you haven't kept up to date on anyone else." Tom knew all about her. He'd been trailing her for months and he knew exactly what was going on in her life. "Although I guess not everyone else is as interesting as me Evelyn."

Evelyn didn't move. Not a single muscle in her body reacted to his presence until on instinct, she drew her wand.

"Evelyn, I'm not sure your skills in Charms are enough to disarm me. In fact, I'm not quite sure anyone's are." Tom swished his wand and disarmed her without a second thought sending her wand flying into his hand. "I think it's time to get down to business."

Finally, she spoke. "The Ministry told me that you'd be looking for me." Her voice was different than Tom remembered, deeper and more mellow.

His expression shifted as if remembering something. "I did was expect them to warm you when they told you what they did. I thought you'd be a bit happier to see me after all these years though Evelyn, we shared such magical years together at school."

"We didn't speak." She spat at him. "You didn't get involved with anyone outside of Slytherin because you were too superior for them, didn't want to be mixing with anything other than royalty, did you? All I remember is you getting that poor boy Rubeus suspended for something I highly doubt he did."

"Hagrid got the punishment he deserved for keeping such a vicious beast at school. The punishment suited the crime, I mean he did kill someone Evelyn, or don't you remember?"

"Everyone at Hogwarts now knows that's a lie. I don't know how you kept us all wrapped around your finger for seven whole years." Although Evelyn still felt fear, she felt herself allowing her body to relax, even though she was in the presence of a known killer. "We both know what you're here for and we both know I'm not at liberty to give you that information."

Tom almost smirked as Evelyn began to dominate the conversation. He recalled their days at Hogwarts when she had attempted to do the same but with much less success. Although Tom had much to say, he found himself keeping his mouth shut as Evelyn began to talk again.

"By now, the Ministry will know about where you are and they'll have sent a team ready to take you down." Evelyn found herself pacing up and down as she spoke, as though she were concocting some sort of plan. "They've sent teams before and by the time they get here, you're always gone so by no doubt, you'll do the same this time. If I give up this information willingly, I'll lose my job."

"If you don't, you'll most likely lose your life," Tom added.

Evelyn noted how uncertain Tom seemed to be, slowing down her pacing and halting before him. "Most likely doesn't seem very decisive. If you wanted me dead, I'm sure you would have done it by now."

"Good observation Evelyn, you never used to be this observant during our time at Hogwarts. But nonetheless, I do need the location of Hepzibah and I know you've been tasked with hiding her."

Evelyn already knew what would happen. When she was tasked with hiding Hepzibah, she was made fully aware of what would happen when Tom Riddle came looking. Not if, but when. She thought he would have killed her already, but for some reason, she was still alive. "What do you need with Hepzibah?"