Chapter 1

I slowly creeped down the stairs, hugging the wall and trying not to make a sound. My father was at work, and my mother believed I was asleep in my room. I had come up with a plan to sneak out to a dance and party that was located in one of my friends’ houses down the street. I could just slip into the house when the dance was over, and my parents would never know I had left! I got excited when I realized I just might make it down the stairs without making a sound! Suddenly, I miscalculated the distance of the stair in front of me and it creaked loudly when my foot came down on it. My mother appeared before me, looking at me for an explanation as to why I was out of bed. I gulped and racked my brain for an explanation. When I came up with nothing, I decided to tell the truth.
“Why are you out of bed?” she asked.
“Well, I was wondering if I could go to a sort of dance party thing that’s being held down the street?” I asked hopefully. I knew she would say no, which is why I hadn’t asked her earlier.
“Absolutely not!” she said, looking at me like she thought I was crazy. A deep rage boiled up inside me. She never let me go anywhere!
“Well I’m going anyway! Everyone from school will be there and I don’t want to be the only one who doesn’t go!” I shouted.
Before my mom had time to process my words, I leapt down the remaining stairs and sprinted towards the back door, since my mom was blocking the front door. I quickly flung open the door and  desperately sprinted away from my home and to the party. I knew I would be in heaps of trouble when I returned home, but it was worth it to be able to go and enjoy this party. I ran as fast as I could down the street. The wind whipped my hair around my face, letting loose strands escape from my ponytail holder. My hair blinded me and I swept it out of my face. I kept looking behind me to make sure my mom hadn't hopped in her car and followed me. She wasn't there, and I sighed in relief. My eight year old sister was home in bed, and she did NOT like to be woken up. My mom didn't like leaving her home alone, even when she was in bed. Therefore, my mom would not follow me. My dad didn't get off of work for another two hours, so I was safe. I sighed in relief. Even though I knew I wasn't being followed, I didn't slow down. It was freezing outside, and I was in a great hurry to get to my friend Samantha's house where the party was being held. It would be warm and cozy there. I pushed my speed faster, until I saw the warm yellow glow of lights reflecting out onto the front lawn of Samantha's house. Good, the party was still on. If it was cancelled, I would have to go back home, and I really wanted to save that headache for later. I was probably going to regret doing this, but oh well. I slowed to a jog as I reached the walkway. I hopped over the steps until I reached the front door. My breath came out in a cloud of smoke as I rang the doorbell. I sighed in relief when it was opened almost instantly by Samantha. She gave me a warm smile, and I hurriedly stepped inside and welcomed the warmth. There was very loud music playing, and I already saw some people getting drunk in the corner. I was eighteen, not nearly old enough to drink. Besides, when I came home tonight, if I had alcohol on my breath, my mom would KILL me. She was already going to kill me anyway, but getting drunk would just multiply that by a MILLION. Samantha accepted my jacket and hung it in the closet.

"Hey Kylie, glad you could make it ." She said.

"Yeah, my parents are going to kill me, but I figured it was worth it." I said with a shrug. 

"Cool, trust me, you won't regret coming to the party. It's already awesome, and it only started like five minutes ago!" She said, having to shout a bit to be heard over the music.

"Whoa, that's awesome! Does that mean your parents are out of town?" I half-shouted in reply.

"Yup, they're in Pennsylvania for the weekend." She said, wiggling her eyebrows mischieviously.

"They don't know you're having a party, do they?" I asked, a knowing smirk creeping onto my face.

"Nope." she said, popping her lips on the 'p'.