Chapter Twenty-Six

Sasuke learnt when she opened her eyes. He learnt when the palm of her hand no longer bled and when her feet were finally able to support her body and she took her first steps on the corridors of the hospital. He was aware for the day she would be released to return to her house, even if her hand was still bandaged and broken. He picked every word that Naruto or Sakura offered, without him asking and with a face that painted apathy. His friends were always chatty so he didn't need to do anything more than listen. He thought for a moment to visit her the day of her release, but the time of his absence had piled up and now he felt as if he missed that chance. It would be awkward to go now. And a voice on his head kept telling him that she didn't ask for his presence. He could not ask directly neither of them as it would rise more questions than it should and lead to conclusions that he absolutely did not want. But if she did, he would know. Naruto would tell him that he should go, that it was heartless on his part not to visit a injured comrade especially when he was called. Sakura would be more settle but her eyes would try to uncover the meaning of the request. They said nothing of that matter so he was sure Hyuga was fine with him missing. Later, after she was already at her house, he understood he waited for her calling, and the disappointment he felt when it didn't came. The thought troubled him as he was the one that decided to let her go, to be taken care of Naruto, to release the unspoken contract that tied them.
More than once, he caught himself walking to the direction of her house in the other end of the village. He stood there in the slight chance she would exit her door and he could see that she was fine. A worry had overcame him. That she cut off herself once more, hidden in the whiteness of her house, slowly drowning back to guilt. When he couldn't function properly anymore and it was hard to concentrate even on the simplest of tasks, he decided it was time to go. He had to visit her for one more time, to make sure she was okay. That Naruto was doing what he had to do, what only he could do. Show her the light.
A mission halted his plans. He would be gone for four days but he took care of it in two. An eagerness overwhelmed him to return to the village, the village he desperately tried to escape countless times in the past.
The sky mocked him. It was as if fate was waiting for him to make his decision. When his resolve was strong and he was certain that this time he would knock on the big white door, with the icy eyes of the guards checking on him, he saw her. He was almost running on the streets when their paths crossed. She missed him at first as Naruto was probably telling her the most interesting story. Then he heard her laugh and saw her curved finger hiding her lips. Her right hand was still covered in wraps, hunging useless on her stomach. Something inside him turned. He wasn't sure what it caused it. Seeing her still hurt, the sound of her laugh, or her company. He didn't want to find out. A need for escape became evident.
Yet his name was heard and Naruto was already waving at him. Then she turned to the direction the man on her side was looking. Their eyes met and he felt like years had passed from the last time he saw her. He searched for an answer in a question he didn't dare to form in words but he found none.
The feet started to walk on his direction. Naruto said something but Sasuke never left her face.
She spoke when they were close and the three of them formed a company.
"I'm glad you are not hurt." Her words caused him to advert his gaze to her broken arm.
"But you are." He said and even he felt the tension. "It was a reckless plan Hyuga."
The silence fell and it seemed that neither of them would speak again.
"But everything worked out in the end." Naruto dispersed it with his loud voice.
"Hinata-chan was so brave and we won." His best friend grin irritated Sasuke more than the idiotic words that he spoke.
He was ready to answer, to ask him if he would say the same if she was dead but her voice came first.
"It was a team effort. I'm fine because you pushed yourselves too much." She smiled and Sasuke remained silent. She had already chosen a side.
"We are going to grab a drink. Teme are you coming?" Naruto changed the subject.
He look at the blonde first and then at her. Her gaze was locked on the fascinating sight of her interwined fingers.
"No." He would not be a bother. He had already seen what he wanted.
He thought he caught a tense on her palms and the white on her hands became more visible. Still it was Naruto that spoke.
"Come on, don't be a bummer."
He looked straight to the blue eyes. How could his best friend be such an idiot. The woman clearly wanted to be just the two of them.
"I have a mission to report."
He turned and run before another word was heard. He missed the confused look on Naruto's eyes and the gaze of two lavender eyes fixed on his back.