Chapter Three

The mirror was the last thing she faced before exiting her room. It was another punishment she inficted on herself. Her growing body meant life and health. She looked in disgust and then regret. The black jacket she pulled over hid the remaining marks. Winter was welcomed.  The clothes covered more skin without attracting unnecessary attention. Summer meant she had to be creative.
Sakura and Ino had invited her in a girl's gathering she didn't want to go. But it was crucial. There was a chance they would meet the man by accident and he had to see her. It was really unlucky that he had seen her twice but it was better him than anyone else. The last Uchiha wouldn't spare another thought about her nor pry more than he should. Still one couldn't be too careful. The sight of her having a good time with her friends would crash any second thought he might have.
She passed the small corridors of her house smiling lighty at the servants doing their chores. She took a glimpse at Hanabi preparing for her morning practice waved her from afar. Her sister ditched her instructor and run off to her.
"Where are you going all dressed up?" The teasing on her voice evident.
"Sakura and Ino invited me for coffee."
She looked disappointed at the answer but quickly recovered.
"I want to come too." She cheerfully replied.
"You have practice to do. Don't neglect your duties."
"You sound just like Neji." Her sister pouted.
She froze, feeling the blood leaving her body.
Hanabi's eyes widen, understanding only now what she had said.
"I'm sorry." A whisper escaped her lips.
"Don't be. It's a honour to compare me with him." Her warm smile cast away the shadow on her sister eyes.
"So can I come?"
She patted her sister head, caressing the hair that shared the same colour with him.
"Another time."

____

Hanabi resembled Neji the most. Not only in appearance that was evident but in their strengths too. They were both prodigies destined for greatness. Even if Hanabi was acting childish at times unlike Neji, she was serious and composed when she fought. They should be siblings. Maybe his fate would be different.
"Hinata are you listening?" Ino's voice brought her to reality.
"You are really skeptical today." Sakura titled her head a little. "Are you thinking of someone special?" She leaned forward." Did you give him the scarf?"
"What scarf?" Ino questioned.
"She was making a scarf to give Naruto as a gift." Her friend explained.
"Really? How romantic. So did you?"
Hinata poker her front fingers together.
"Yes." She said in a low voice.
"What? When? What did he say?" Ino almost jumped from excitement.
"It was at the last mission we were together. He didn't say anything."
"I'm gonna punch that knucklehead." Sakura raised her shirt, reviling her fist.
"No, no please Sakura-san it's not his fault. It was a bad moment. And he had tried to talk to me since then. I am the one avoiding him."
"Why?" Sakura eased a little.
"I don't know." Hinata kept staring at her fingers.
"Hinata don't be scared. I'm sure everything will be fine." Five delicate fingers touched her hands.
"You are weird Hinata." Ino laughed and continued seeing Sakura's stare. "I don't mean it in a bad way. I like that weirdness of yours."
The cakes they had ordered arrived with the three kunoichi taking a bite, tasting the sweet flavour. After a few more Ino raised her spoon, taking a pose full of meaning.
"So now that Sasuke is back are you planning to stop dating other people?"
Sakura sighed.
"It's still awkward between us. I thought we had some moments after the war but now it's like before. Him avoiding me, hanging out mostly with Naruto. It feels we are back on our academy days."
"Why don't you ask him out? I asked Sai."
"I don't know. It feels weird. I mean I was the one chasing after him for so long. I thought he should be the one asking me."
Ino took a bite of the spoon hanging in the air.
"It's official. You are both weird." That brought laughter back on the table.

____

He was supposed to leave for a mission in two days so he finally caved in to Naruto's request. It felt refreshing fighting against him. He could go all out knowing that Naruto could stand it. When the chakra of their techniques clashed against each other a better understanding of one other was formed. They fought at the most distant ground on the outskirts of the village. The sense of power that emerged from their fight kept everyone at a safe distance. They stopped when they felt exhausted and cleansed.
"Let's go grab something."
Sasuke felt relactunt. He eyes the man.
"I will come only if you stop nagging me about this girl you like."
"Fine." Naruto folded his arms like a child.
They exited the forest, closing in the centre of the village.
"What's up with you and her anyway?"
The whiskers on his face arose from the grin.
"I promised I won't talk. Remember?"
Sasuke rolled his eyes. Sometimes he forgot how annoying Naruto could be.
"Okay. Okay I will tell you if you insist so much."
"I didn't.."
"I didn't know until recently that Hinata had these feelings for me. She never said anything and I considered her a really good friend of mine." He said happily.
"But now that I know I think I should do something about it. Hinata is a really kind person and she is beautiful too."
He stopped on his tracks.
"And when Neji died I promised I would take care of her." His face was serious on the last statement.
Sasuke viewed the man. His expression was the one he had when he was determined.
"Neji?"
"Yes Neji Hyuga. The prodigy of the clan. Her cousin."
He remembered the boy briefly. He was arrogant and cold. Much like Sasuke was at that age.
"What about him?"
"He died protecting me and Hinata. He left me the responsibility of her. I can't let him down."
Sasuke walked a few steps.
"Ask her."
Naruto's eyes widen at his words. He rushed out to catch him with a lighter mood than before.
"Just don't bug me more about it."
Naruto let out a laugh which parted Sasuke's lips slightly. He was glad he was the one that helped his friend for once.