Alternate Realities

Tom walked into the Queen's chambers with a sense of dread he couldn't quite explain. She had been nothing less than gracious towards him but how come he still felt like he was walking to his own execution? Why did he feel that Frigga was the only who could stop the destruction of his sanity and his relationship? His head spun with questions and fears.

She was sitting by the window, talking with her ladies when she saw him. Frigga smiled warmly and stood to greet him. He bowed and kissed her outstretched hand.  She smelt of roses and graciousness. Her voice was soft and melodious,
"Thomas, it is so lovely to see you. I fear it could have been under better circumstances though ?" She motioned her ladies to leave them and still holding his hand, sat down again, making him sit beside her.

" Your Majesty " he began " thank you for seeing me.  I realise as a Midgardian I have no claim on your time. " she held up a hand to stop him
" Thomas, you may not be our son, but you are one of the few who have taken on our son both as a friend - and adversary - and lived to tell the tale as either" she smiled at his surprise at her candour " I see my son for who he is, even the darker bits.  Please, go on "
Tom stood up and walked to the window, rubbing the back of his neck distractedly. He looked out over the city, its perennial sunshine casting a warm glow, making him feel calm. It was almost as if... he was surprised when the word 'home' came to him. He turned and looked at the Queen.

"I am worried I am losing Carrie. Losing her to something - someone - I cant compete with. Yet, what is more worrying is I am not as bereft as I should be? I feel, well, there is someone else creeping into my thoughts and I know I should stop them but somehow I dont want to. I feel at home here, yet I know I have to go back. My life is there, my love is there and everything I thought I ever wanted is there. I know I cannot have everything I want but I dont understand why I should want more. What is happening to me? To us? You are able to see what others can't. Please tell me it's all going to be ok? I couldn't bear it if all this was for nothing. " he turned back to her and  
She could clearly see his distress. His eyes were full of confusion and tears.

She stood up and crossed to him extending her arms
"Thomas, dear Thomas, " she drew him into a hug " I may be a Queen but I am also a mother and I feel your pain every bit as much as if your were my son" her voice soothed him as she held him close. "I cannot tell you what  to do and it is not my place to tell you the future. You need to discover your path yourself. " she let him go and linked her arm through his. He rubbed his eyes with his hand, sniffing back the emotion that she had allowed him to show so freely.
"However, " she continued " I can offer you one crumb of comfort at this point"

"Please your Majesty, anything, please" he looked at her intently " I am at my wits end"

"Loki will of course, return to take you home. He will be the one to help you. For all he is impetuous and wayward he also has much he can tell you. He has changed, become a man in the best sense of the word. Until then, try not to worry over things you cannot control. Make sure you are not blinded to what is here and now by looking into a future that no-one can truly predict." She stroked his cheek and he smiled, looking down at his feet, a slight flush to his cheeks.

"Thank you my Queen." He kissed her hand again and they walked to the door of her chambers. She smiled at him and opened the ornate wooden door, the guards outside instantly standing to attention.

"While you are here Thomas, I am sure you would like to explore our realm a little?  The best way is on horseback. I know the Lady Sif would be more than happy to show you around... Wouldnt you Sif?" Frigga turned and spoke directly to the figure loitering in the corridor behind a pillar.
" Your Majesty " she bowed, her face a delicate.shade of crimson. " I err I was just , eh... " she stammered and Tom caught her eye, sniggering quietly to himself at her discomfort.  She glared at him and that only made it more hilarious. She had obviously gotten wind if the fact he had returned. Despite his feelinfs for Carrie and their situation - or was it bacause of them - he was glad to see her.