The Doppelganger

"Darling ,please forgive me it was so late, my flight got delayed. I KNOW I promised but it really...." Tom stopped in shock as he reached the living room door, the bunch of roses falling from his hand to the floor. 

It was Carrie, his darling, loyal, ever patient, loving,  soon-to-be-wife-he-prayed Carrie and she was just about to lock lips with... they spun round on his approach and he prepared to say something when... what in the HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!

He took a step into the room, transfixed. The other man stood up, equally so.  They walked towards each other, Tom quite unable to believe his eyes, the other man a gentle smile, almost a smirk, on his face. They circled each other like two lions facing up over their prey. Each waiting for the other to make the first move. You could have heard a pin drop.  Then the 'prey' spoke.

"Tom, darling, meet " she took a breath " Loki - of Asgard".

Tom turned to face her, his face registering a thousand emotions, none of which explained the current picture.
"Have you lost your MIND?" He replied, suddenly the last thing he was worrying about was her kissing this - this - doppelganger, he thought she'd gone stark raving mad. "Loki? What do you mean Loki? He doesn't - this isn't - I mean I am but..." Tom turned back to look at the man.

"What have you DONE to her!" He demanded, lunging for his perceived rival. " If you've hurt her in ANY way I swear to fucking God, I'll fucking kill you where you stand!!" Tom swore, all diction and RADA training out the window, his south London roots showing clearly. As clearly as the vein in his neck that seemed about to pop as he tried to take a swing at Loki.

Carrie shook out of her trance and leapt up , "Thomas!!" She yelled, hanging onto his arm "stop it. Stop it now!" She pulled him back with all her strength, arms wrapped around his torso, dragging him back. "Its not what you think. He's here to help!"

"Yes" Tom snarled " help himself to my girlfriend!" He shrugged Carrie off angrily but didn't make another move. Just stood, glaring fiercely. Carrie had never seen him quite so angry, a tiny part of her really quite liked this new, testosterone fuelled, dominant Tom, but now really wasn't the time . Or the place.

Loki, for his part, hadn't said a word. He'd just stood back, arms folded. waiting for Tom to either attack, in which case he could easily deal with him or calm down and ask questions, again, easily dealt with. Tom lunging at him merely made him step back. He wouldn't hurt his little brother, just knock the wind out his sails enough to  make him listen to her.

"If you're quite finished Thomas" he said slowly, irritatingly calmly,  "I will explain my presence" and with that he transformed back into the black suited Loki, a green energy running from head to toe as he did so.  Tom stood, much as Carrie had, and simply stared open mouthed. He looked from one to another in total shock, his eyebrows somewhere around the top of his head, his hand raking his hair as he sat down heavily.

"I-I-I haven't the faintest idea what I just saw but..." he was as white as sheet and Carrie thought he might be about to pass out.  She knelt at his feet, her hands on his knees.

"It's ok Tom, just breathe, believe me, I've been where you are now.  It will pass, honestly.  It's exactly what it looks like - Loki Laufeyson is standing in my living room. I promise you, you and I haven't gone mad or been drugged" she laughed lightly and Tom just smiled a wan, incredulous smile.

"Ok" he said "assuming I'm not mad then, why is HE here - and WHY WERE YOU GOING TO KISS HIM!" he didn't shout, he just enunciated every word so clearly there no mistaking his feelings on the matter.

"Well" she swallowed "It's a kind of intervention Tom" she looked up at Loki who nodded, knowing now was most definitely not the time for him to speak. "And I wouldn't have, I love you Tom, I was just feeling, well, as you are now.  Confused." she broke off and kissed his cheek, sitting next to him. It sounded weak to her to be honest and she didn't really expect him to believe it - she certainly didn't.  Loki just looked at her and smiled.  There would be time enough to discuss that little episode later with her.

Amazingly, Tom seemed happy with that and turned to Loki.

"So, you're Loki then eh?" he stood up, looking at  him intently.  "I have to say, I had no idea you were actually real and what the hell man - we are identical!" he suddenly broke into a smile. "I've been getting it right all these years without even knowing it!" There was a sudden man-hug and Loki hesitated for a moment, taken aback.  He soon returned the hug though, and there was much mutual admiration and back slapping. Carrie rolled her eyes to no-one in particular.

Loki smiled,  "Yes Tom, you most certainly have.  Thor and I have been very pleased with you two.  Although, I must say, your depiction of me far outweighs that of my oaf of a witless Brother!" he laughed heartily "Oh I meant to ask - who's idea was Get Help in the first place? I mean, it truly IS humiliating!" At this all three of them laughed now, the ice well and truly broken.

The next hour or two was spent revisiting the conversation that Carrie had had with Loki the previous evening, this time with Tom asking some questions that, to all intents and purposes, would help him in his acting the part.  This made both Loki and Carrie stop and look at him sadly.

"What?" he said "What have I said now?" he looked crestfallen and she hugged him tightly.

"Oh Tom, that's exactly why he's here - you NEVER stop working do you?" she shook her head, pulling back a little. "We have decided you need a complete break.  No work, no social media, no interviews not even a phone call." she stroked his cheek, her fingers tracing the fine cheekbone she had come to love and envy all at the same time. "You sir, are going where no mortal man has gone before" she looked at Loki who winked and said,

"You my dear Midgardian Brother from another Mother are coming with me - us - to Asgard" he proclaimed, arms wide.

"I can't go to Asgard! I have work and you have work and I have interviews and rehearsals and..." he trailed off as he saw the look on both their faces. "This is why you want me to go isn't it?" he said sadly.

"Yes darling, it is" Carrie held his large, elegant hand in her two small ones. "You never switch off any more.  You're not eating properly - even when it's not decorating a wall - you drink probably a bit more than is good for you and WE never see each other for more than a few hours at a time." She sighed, "enough is enough Tom. It meant what you thought it did when I threw that cake, this is your - our - last chance.  I for one don't intend to lose you and I wont stand by and let you go without a fight, but if you wont fight for us then I can't.  Not any more" tears ran down her cheeks and she sobbed just a tiny bit despite her best efforts.

Loki found his usually cold, clinical, carefully protected heart hurting for her as she did so and part of him wanted to hold her close and tell her he would look after her, love her,  like a Queen. but he kept that part silent. What he did was walk over and put a hand on Tom's shoulder.

"Look, " he said "it's what you Midgardians call Friday so come with me for the weekend, you can relax and talk away from all - this" he gestured around "on neutral ground as it were. I have a plan and it needs total commitment from EVERYONE " he looked at Carrie too " for it to work.  But it will work brother." he stood in the middle of the room, arms wide, smiling,  "Your saviour is here!" he looked every inch the shy retiring God he was known to be!

"I'm not doing Get Help!" said Tom with a wry smile and Carrie hit him with a cushion.