Asgard isn't a place - is it?

The sunlight streamed through the window falling in golden shafts onto the bed.  The gossamer light curtains billowed in a light breeze,  diffusing it on his face as he stirred, stretched and yawned.  It was warm and the scent of a thousand flowers filled the morning air, paradise did indeed exist. Tom rubbed his eyes, relaxing back onto the silken sheets.  He couldn't remember the last time he slept so well or so long. 

He looked to the other side of the bed, a dent in the pillow indicating where Carrie had lain next to him. He rolled onto her side of the bed and could smell her perfume, she wasn't there but he could hear her singing softly in the shower.  He smiled, she had a lovely voice but would never sing in front of him.  He had to make do with eavesdropping, maybe one day she would sing for him he mused.

By the looks of the sun, it was late morning. He rolled back, looking beyond the drapes out to the skyline and the mountains in the distance. Faint sounds from the city below filtered up like some foreign melody. It was truly beautiful here.

Here!  He salt bolt upright in bed as he remembered the events of the previous day.  This was neither his, nor Carrie's, bedroom.  This was Asgard!

He rose from the bed, wrapping the sheet around his hips, and walked onto the balcony.  Stretched before him was the city, their room being one of a thousand in the golden fortress that was Odin's Palace.  He looked over to the mountains, dark and majestic.  He looked down to the water's edge, where the sea fell over the edge of the realm into the vast nothingness of this particular universe. 

To the right, he could see the bridge to the Bifrost chamber where Heimdal had greeted them the afternoon before.  Heimdal, tall, gold eyes, armour and demeanour that brooked nonsense.  He had greeted him  with all the reverence of a visiting crowned head.  Did even he realise the gravity of the situation Tom found himself in? He saw all, over all the 9 realms it was said.  Trillions of souls in millions of worlds. 

"I saw you coming" he had said as the three of them stepped out of the rainbow light of the Bifrost, Tom and Carrie staggering a little from it's effects. 

"Course you did" replied Loki with a smirk and they walked over the bridge into the city. Loki was resplendent again in full Asgardian armour with its intricate accents of  gold glinting in the sunlight. People bowed before him and he smiled benevolently, especially to the women. They seemed particularly keen to greet him and Carrie laughed inwardly. This was definitely Loki's realm, no matter what his brother might think. 

People looked at them curiously, but not with any threat. If they were friends of the Prince, that was good enough for them. What did strike every single one was the fact Tom looked, apart from the light hair, identical to Loki. Height, build, cheekbones, if they were to cover their hair, only the eyes would give them away. It was uncanny.  There were mutterings behind hands and a few shy smiles but again, everyone was respectful.

Everyone but Sif. 

After they had settled in, Loki had invited them.to dine in his apartments, more informal than a meeting with Odin, for the first night anyway.  Sif, Voldstagg, Fandral and Hogen had joined them. Volstagg and Fandral had immediately taken possession of Carrie, Fandral especially, making her blush with his fulsome compliments.  Hogen had smiled and chatted and been friendly but a little reserved, as was his way.  Tom watched with more than a little incredulity as these legends come to life feasted and drank and laughed like, well, real people.  After a while, the door burst open and in walked Thor.  Larger than life and twice as loud.  

"BROTHER!" he yelled "WARRIORS! LADY SIF!" he crossed the room and greeted them with hugs and backslapping and a kiss on the hand for Sif who smiled happily.  Then he stopped dead, looked Tom in the eye and growled