Confession

"Carrie?  Carrie?  Can you hear me?  If you can hear me, try and open your eyes or squeeze my hand" the voice said.  She slowly opened her eyes and the bright light of the hospital emergency department cubicle seared into her brain.  She groaned some incoherent mumblings and tried to sit up, the pain in her shoulder immediately putting paid to that. Looking to her left, she saw a nurse standing smiling at her and realised this was the hand she was holding.

"You're ok - you had a wee accident and you've hurt your shoulder and banged your head - but you're safe.  You're going to be ok" his gentle smile and Scottish brogue was reassuring.  She relaxed back and tried again to form coherent sounds, this time with more success.

"What happened? Where's my phone?" even she realised how pathetic that sounded.  "Sorry" she winced as the nurse laughed not unkindly.  

"Yep, it's always the first question - limbs heal for free, phones cost money eh?" he joked. "My name is Tony and I think we've established yours is Carrie?  We had a look in your bag for some ID to double check  your name were brought in, hope you don't mind?" he helped her sit up just a little "There's no spinal damage so you can sit up as much as is comfortable.  You dislocated your shoulder so we reset it and put it in a sling for you.  I just need to stitch your head. Nasty wee cut on it - don't worry I got O Grade sewing at school so it wont be a running stitch!" Carrie was so grateful for his cheery good humour, any cloying sympathy would have been too much to bear.

As he injected her eyebrow with anaesthetic, she winced. "Aye that's the worst bit over, I'll give you a couple of minutes then come back with the darning needle ok?" he winked and went out the cubicle.  Before he fully left he turned, "Oh and your phone is on the locker next to you.  I think you might want to call your boyfriend, seems he called the ambulance when he heard the crash.  You were right in the middle of talking to him weren't you?  Gave him a right wee fright!" with that Tony left, the curtain swinging shut. 

Boyfriend?  Carrie was puzzled for a minute then suddenly - LUKE, OH SHIT!  She carefully reached round with her good arm and lifted the phone.  Thanks to the bulky but protective case she'd always hated, it was in one piece - just a small chip out the corner of the screen.  Smiling wryly she decided it had been one of her better decisions of late.  Other things, she knew with a sinking feeling, were not.  

Dialling Luke's number, she took a deep breath. Dammit.  Voicemail.  She briefly toyed with being a coward and just hanging up but realised that would just scare him more.  She quickly left a message saying she was battered and bruised but ok.  She wasn't going to Scotland now after all, so could he call her back when he was free?  She hung up, clutching the phone to her chest, head pounding she closed her eyes.  Breathe woman she whispered, just breathe. Her fear began to rise, it was time to come clean.  Lying to Luke was the karma that had caused all this in the first place.  She lay back on the pillows, still clutching the phone, eyes still shut.  She carefully felt her forehead with her finger tips.  No pain, nothing.  The injection had worked it's magic. She considered asking Tony to inject her battered heart with some too.  It would make things so much easier.

Tony returned and armed with a ferocious looking needle, set to work repairing her wound. He was as good as his word and 5 small stiches later she was back together.  He carefully placed a dressing over her eyebrow.  She would need to be careful for a week then they could come out.  

"And no picking at the scabs lass - no matter how itchy it gets!" he admonished with a smile.  Before she could respond, her phone rang - it was Luke.  With a knowing smile, Tony slipped out the cubicle and she picked up.

"Luke?  Yes, yes, thankyou, I'm ok. No , its ok you don't need to come , you're needed there. Honestly its fine.  YOU got a fright?  Tell me about it, I've now got a dodgy shoulder and the world's worst facelift.  That's my modelling career over!" she grinned feeling much better now she was about to be honest with him.  Lying really didn't sit well, especially to someone who genuinely seemed to care about her. " Look, about earlier, there's something I need to tell you..." she began but Luke cut her off.