Deception

She was sweating and shaking, there was no way this was going to work.  Someone would notice immediately - what on earth had she - THEY - been thinking?  His first interview as Tom.  And with Josh no less, Josh who knew him inside out and back to front.  Luke had been reluctant to pull out of too many interviews, press coverage was essential.  Look what had happened with the last film that got little exposure, despite being a shoe-in for an Oscar nod... nothing.  He didn't want to risk that again.

Reluctantly, despite it being only a week since he took over steering the good ship Hiddleston, Loki agreed.  On the proviso that Carrie could accompany him.  Luke , tom's Man Friday and arranger of all things publicity, was a little puzzled, normally Tom didn't mix business with pleasure.  Not that he didn't like Carrie, far from it, she was sweet and undemanding and a pleasure to have around, and unlike some previous girlfriends - no agenda of her own. He nodded and arranged for a pass for her too.

Now as they waited for the interview to begin, Carrie sitting off camera behind where Josh would be, she realised exactly why he wanted her there.

"Are you ok?" she heard him say but his lips hadn't moved.  He was in her head. He hadn't attempted that since.. well their first meeting and she'd forgotten how odd - and strangely exciting - it was.  She smiled at him.  "You can speak back to me, in your thoughts" he continued "in fact, I will need it, so please try now?" he looked at her and smiled.  To the outside world, it was two people exchanging a glance, to them, it was the last line of defence against disaster.

"Err ok?  Left this a bit late Laufeyson - Can you hear me?" she tried.  

"Yes - but don't move your lips! Do you do that when you read to yourself?" he sounded scathing and she was more than a little hurt. 

"Sorry, I'm not as skilled as you at all this!" she stared at him, her displeasure alarming him somewhat. He couldn't afford to have her mentally walk away on the first go! His tone softened "I'm sorry, I'm just well, it's all..." he broke off, unsure what to say.

"You're NERVOUS!" she crowed "The great Loki Laufeyson is NERVOUS!" it was something she wouldn't have believed if she hadn't heard it with her own ears.  As a result, all her own nerves died.  She was the one in charge now.  She could make or break the interview,  the power was intoxicating. Before she had a chance to relish it any more, Josh entered the room and walked over to Loki, hugging him like a long lost friend.

"Good to see you man" he said as he pulled back, a little confused by the apparent lack of warmth in the hug from his friend. "you ok?  This press tour getting to you yet?"  he sat on the chair opposite and took out his notebook.  They checked the lighting and the sound and then they were ready. 

Half an hour later it was done.  The questions had been searching but kind, as could be expected from Josh and Carrie had been able to help him on most.  Only a couple really floored her but to her surprise, Loki had deflected them expertly.  For someone as unversed in the ways of the Midgardian media he took to it like a duck to water. Josh stood and walked over to him again, looking as if he was about to hug again.  Loki was ready this time and hugged back, only Carrie seeing the look on his face over Josh's shoulder.  She wished she had a camera.

As they walked out the room, Luke outlining plans for the afternoon, there was a voice behind them.

"Hey!!!  You not speaking Hiddles?  What have I done this time?"  The three of them spun round and before any of them could even draw breath,  a well dressed man , around Tom's age walked up. No-one knew who he was, but by the tone and the nickname, it was someone who knew him pretty well. "I'm here for some talks with folks about a potential film  - can't say any more " he tapped his nose "but it's a challenging one" he looked at the little group, his eyes coming to rest on Carrie "You must be the delectable Carrie" he said, taking her hand and kissing her knuckles gallantly.  She smiled, instantly taking the chance presented