If Anyone Here........

They stood and looked out over the wide expanse of space. 

"I see her" said Heimdal, "She looks beautiful in white lace, she carries flowers - yellow roses and green ivy" he smiled at his two companions "I apologise if I cannot describe her in great detail - I am no expert on the Wedding fashions of Midgard" they laughed and nodded.  

"It's quite alright" Sif replied, "we get the idea" she squeezed her companions hand "you ok?  This might be too much for you - are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes" came the quiet but certain reply "I am content at last. I know Carrie will be happy and I too am happy because of that. It may have taken time to realise what I had right in front of me, but I will never regret my decision."  He looked at Sif for a moment then leant over and kissed her tenderly. "I promise to love you every bit as much as you deserve."

Sif blushed and smiled back, then they turned back to Heimdal who continued,

"She is in turmoil.  There is regret in her thoughts, but I know when you meet, you will be able to put that to rest for her once and for all."

"Thank you Heimdal, you have played a pivotal role in all of this and I know sometimes you have been stretched to your limit with your honesty and intergrity.  I will forever be grateful.  As for you darling, " he turned to Sif again "all that remains for us is to make our union both public and permanent.  We must seek an audience with the Allfather on my return to Asgard."

"You are leaving?" she looked at him, worried suddenly "when?"

"Fear not, my warrior Princess" he smiled and kissed her forehead softly, "It will only be for a short while.  I need to make sure he " and he pointed towards Midgard in general "keeps the bargain, keeps in mind what he's learned from all this and not shame me.  After all, I have a reputation to uphold!"

The three of them laughed again and Heimdal turned the sword in the mechanism.

"Time to go... remember to be careful... you will all  be in the same place at the same time again.  There may not be time or opportunity to change appearances."

They embraced once more, Sif kissing him and whispering "Come back soon" and with that he was gone.  She turned to Heimdal "What aren't you telling him?  I know there is something else by the tone of your voice,  I know you too well old friend"

Heimdal looked at her, impressed "your sight is almost as good as mine" he nodded "I never lie as you know Lady Sif, but I can choose the information I impart." he paused "It would not have been prudent to tell him, because Lady Carrie only knew a few days ago herself, but she is carrying Loki's child."

Sif looked worried "I knew it" she paused, "Will this affect her I mean - Loki is Jotun!?"  Suddenly there was another figure beside them, the Queen. Sif curtsied and Heimdal bowed his head "your Majesty"

"No formalities please Sif - Heimdal - this is a special day indeed.  And to answer your question Sif yes, it will, beyond anything  Carrie could have imagined."  She paused and turned to her, "the baby is half Jotun half Midgardian as you say, it's a powerful combination.  It will infuse it's mother with the same properties as it has.  There will be a powerful exchange along the cord in BOTH directions. When Loki finds out, he will have to persuade her to return here regularly so our healers can help her."

"So you're saying she will live as long as Loki?" Sif was astonished. Frigga nodded, smiling gently, "Yes, this is going to be a shock for all of them." They turned back and looked out over the stars.

Standing at the door of the church, Carrie paused and took a deep breath.  

"You ok Carrie?" asked Luke as she smoothed down her dress for the 100th time since they got out the car. "you look at little pale."

Carrie smiled , her heart was pounding.  This was it, this was the moment, her and Tom's moment.  After everything they had been through, she was happy but she was sad.  In the deepest part of her heart, she had hoped Loki would come back and carry her away to Asgard.  She loved Tom, really she did, but she wanted to spend eternity with Loki.  He was gone though and she would probably never see him again.  She had to be realistic.  Pining after a soulmate was a luxury she could not afford.  

And Tom obviously loved her more than ever.  Since his final return from Asgard, six months ago he had been attentive and loving and everything she had ever hoped he would be. Treated her like a Queen.

A Queen, if only she could stop thinking about Loki and what might have been, things would be perfect.  Now though, she had decided to be a grown up and make the best of the situation. Especially now, she only hoped he would be able to accept this one last thing. If not.... her heart sank and absentmindedly she stroked her gown again, smoothing out wrinkles in the lace that weren't there.  She would tell Tom later, in private,  She wanted today to be about their marriage, this was as much Tom's day as hers and nothing was going to overshadow it for him.  

"Carrie? Luke asked again "Are you ok? You've been standing there with your eyes closed for 5 minutes" he patted her arm, "If there's anything - if...." he paused, uncertainly "if you've changed your mind, it's not too late" he looked at her, trying to be the supportive face she needed if that was the case.

"Oh! God, NO!" she smiled and shook her head "Sorry, was just lost in thought, sorry." she linked her arm through his "I have something to tell Tom later and I was just wondering what to say" she winked and Luke widened his eyes in shock

"Are you? You ARE? Really?" he guessed 

"Yes " she smiled sweetly and blushed "I am - just a few weeks.  No-one knows so you mustn't say ANYTHING - especially not to Tom" she pleased.

"Absolutely not! Mum's the word" he said instantly and they laughed loudly at his bad, but unintentional, pun.

"On that note, let's get going" she pulled him with her and they walked into the church.  She had just turned down the aisle when there was a flash outside, not that she could see it, and a tall figure slipped into the back pew.

Walking down the aisle, looking around, her eyes began to fill with tears.  Not only were her hormones raging because of the baby, but she was on an emotional rollercoaster. Her friends, Tom's friends, families and colleagues - some pretty famous - filled the little country church.  The nearer to Tom she got, the more she realised she was finally separating herself from a life with Loki.  With every step, her head said this is what you said you wanted, but her heart said 'where is he?  why doesn't he come and carry you away with him?' To onlookers, she was an emotional bride, in reality she was a grieving soul.

As she arrived at the altar, Tom and Chris already stood waiting for her. Chris nudged Tom and he turned to her, letting out a small 'ohhhh' as he saw her for the first time.

"Darling you look enchanting" he whispered and she looked at him through tear filled eyes "Don't worry, " he added quietly "I'm sure he's here somewhere.  He wouldn't miss this for the world. "

"Thank you" she whispered and passed her flowers to Emma to begin the ceremony.

It all went relatively quickly and soon they got to the part where the question was asked "If anyone knows of any reason why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony - speak now or forever hold your peace." Carrie stared at their joined hands then up at Tom.  He smiled and she held her breath, praying for a voice that she knew would never come.  She held his gaze, trying to be in the moment and failing.  She knew he could see it, she also saw he didn't care.  He smiled, gentle and reassuring , she looked away, ashamed. 

The silence was deafening and deep in her soul she cried out "oh Loki where are you, I love you, please don't leave me forever?"

"I am right here darling, I have been all along" came the whispered answer from above her head.

Her head snapped up in shock.  She looked at Tom and he smiled tenderly as their eyes locked. Her head swam and she collapsed into his arms as she saw them change from ocean blue to a glittering deep emerald green.