Chapter 29

I just poured my heart out, and she barely seemed to listen. Ume though irritated. Takako didn't seem that grateful about the rescue but she was so difficult to read. No doubt, she still resented Ume's attempt on her life.

Why am I worrying about this now? We're in a major battle! But Ume wasn't that confident of victory. It was Doubtful that Haruko would fall for Takako's trick twice. Worse, Ume had no way of hurting the lieutenant whatsoever.

"Hey, I've got your back." The mysterious white-haired knight said, giving her an encouraging smile. While he'd recovered somewhat from his injuries, he remained in awful shape.

And here's another anomaly I don't understand. How Paliah could even hurt a magical girl was beyond her. She'd visited countless worlds with dangerous threats, but none came close to threatening a magical girl or fairy.

"Thanks," Ume swore she'd do her part to protect him, at least. He seemed like a good guy.

"Not you again, rebel," Emiyo said, annoyed. "Still, I get another chance to present the Devil Princesses with your head. Leave this one to me, Haruko."

"Fine," Haruko replied. "The weak should deal with the weak. The rebel has only survived this long because she preyed on Starlight Dream's worthless. If she kills you, we didn't need you, anyway."

"Thanks," Emiyo replied, venom in her words.

Without warning, Haruko's whip tore through the air towards Takako's head. It forced Ume to dodge away from her ally. The whip rose for another strike. But Ume was ready, summoning a portal to direct it back towards the lieutenant. But the whip passed straight through the window in reality like it didn't exist. Takako howled as it clipped her shoulder, leaving her arm limp.

"All vectors." Haruko taunted. "Nothing can touch me and never will."

Oh, God. We can't win, can we?

Despite wincing as she examined her injury, Takako only smirked. "Do you have the memory span of goldfish? Did you forget that I almost killed you?"

This taunt raised Haruko's hackles, who focused her attention on making Takako pay for that remark. They darted away, playing a deadly game of cat and mouse.

Thinking Ume distracted, Emiyo's sickle slashed towards her stomach. Metal clashed against metal as Ume used her wand to block it. The lieutenant was quick, but Ume kept a step ahead with her portals. She extended a hand, Rmiyo grunted in annoyance as a beam of energy blasted into her stomach from a sudden hole in reality.

"Amusing, but you're still only a gnat!"

Ume's head rang as she received a sudden blow to the skull, making her stagger. Despite the lieutenant's grievous injuries, her time skipping made her impossible to track. Ume blindsided her with more energy beams from nowhere, but their damage proved minimal. She howled as a sickle slash caught her across the chest, bleeding profusely. Emiyo followed up with a more deadly strike, but gasped as a blade stabbed through her wrist. The lieutenant creamed in rage and pain, dropping her weapon.

"Have courage," Paliah said, his words haggard. He used his sword to support his waning strength. "This fight isn't over yet."

While she appreciated the comforting words, Ume's spirit crumpled in despair. Even this non-magical girl was stronger than her! What was wrong with her? Why did she always trail behind everyone else despite her seniority? She was one of the oldest magical girls still alive. What was she lacking?

"Paliah!" She gasped as Emiyo's sickle severed his left arm, trembling with horror.

"Believe. Believe." Paliah said, his words jagged with pain. "Love. That's what makes you magical girls strong, right? Seina loves, so she's strong." He collapsed to his knees, his strength failing him.