Chapter 6

"Are you okay?" Aiko asked, concerned as Seina approached her from across the street. Her friend was moving sluggishly and had deep bags under her eyes.

"Fine, I suppose." Mr. Kiyojiro hadn't been lying about pushing her until she dropped. Her entire body hurt from the countless katas he'd forced her to carry out. Worse, even in her dreams, she couldn't escape from them, forced to continue her training even there.

Colten zipped around her head. "I'm surprised he's even allowed you a day off considering how serious he's taking your training."

Seina's fairy friend paused for a moment before brightening. "I just thought of a cool name for your magical girl form!" Seina groaned. Not this again. She was fine with just being called Seina!

After doing an elaborate circle in the air, Colten spread his legs wide. "Lotus Karate!"

"No Colten. Just no." Seina replied without hesitation.

"Okay. That was kinda bad." Colten replied, dejected.

Mr. Kiyojiro coughed in his fist, reminding them they were talking about someone right behind them. "You need time to rest your body, too. Besides, your training is going better than expected. You're a real natural."

"Sure," Seina replied, unconvinced. Her body didn't agree with that statement.

"So, uh." Aiko paused, reluctant to speak her next words.

"Yes, Aiko, we will learn cool moves soon." Mr. Kiyojiro said, reading the girl's thoughts. "In fact, I plan to have her start sparing soon. She just needs a good training partner. I'd do it myself, but I'd rather have someone around Seina's age. I think she'd learn more effectively with a rival of sorts."

"You might have someone who'd be a perfect fit," Colten said, giving Aiko a meaningful glance.

"Don't look at me!" Aiko replied. "I'm fine sitting on the sidelines. It's safer."

"Well, well. You need a sparring partner? I can think of someone who'd be the perfect match." A figure said, appearing from an alleyway for a second before screaming in pain as Mr. Kiyojiro jabbed him in the stomach and flipped him onto the ground. His victim gave a strangled cry from having the breath knocked from his lungs.

"Oh, it's you." Mr. Kiyojiro said, finally getting a good look at the intruder. It was the former Lotus Butcher thug Masato.

"Are you okay?" Seina asked, concerned.

Masato wheezed some more, fighting back tears of pain. "Nah, I'm fine." He stood straight, pretending he hadn't gotten thrown onto his butt.

Colten groaned. "What are you doing here?"

"Me?" Masato crossed his arms, giving a confident smile. "Helping you defend the world, sister."

Seina blinked. "Sister?"

Colten snorted with disbelief. "Really?"

"That's right, brother. I figure you need all the help you can get. I heard about your training."

"Why would you help us?" Siena asked, giving the former thug a suspicious glare.

"Because, we are siblings, you and I," Masato replied. "You, Colten, and I share a special bond. We're freaks, outcasts, someone no one wants. While we don't share blood, the bonds we've formed run much deeper than that."

"What's this, we business!? What bonds?! Don't lump me in with you!" Seina replied, agasted.

"As your big brother, I thought it would be only proper if I assisted your training." Masato continued.