Chapter 19

"Is this the place?" Lilha asked, glaring at the abandoned warehouse from across the street. "Would Takako really bring Emiyo here?" She considered the girl too vain to willingly live in such a dump.

"It's what my sources within the Prime Minister's office say. She wanted her own place." Dreven replied, not sharing his queen's reservations. It impressed Lilha that her once champion had such contacts.

"Luck is on our side." Dreven continued. "My sources also tell me Seina isn't on the planet anymore."

"What?!" Lilha jerked in sudden surprise.

"She's on Starlight Dream trying to rescue someone," Dreven said. "Who, my sources couldn't determine."

That was fantastic news, better than Lilha could ever imagine. Their most hated enemy had just walked into a den of lions, with likely no chance of escape! The chances of the hated magical girl returning were beyond nil!

Oh, who am I kidding! The girl has proven to have the devil's luck! The demon! Whatever happens, I doubt it will be good for me. "We better hurt than before the accursed girl returns!"

Dreven nodded, a sly smile appearing on his lips. "Understood, but we shouldn't rush," Lilha grunted in pain as Dreven pushed her down below the wall that constituted their hiding place. She opened her mouth to protest, but froze when she spotted Takako gazing out a window. The magical girl wore a bored expression and yawned before leaving the window.

"That was too close." If Lilha was still human, her heart would have beat out of her chest. Even if they brought an army of thousands of vampires, they'd only be rushing to their slaughter. Seina's ridiculous, pointless bodyguard passed by next, but Lilha ignored him.

"Unfortunately, we can't rush in," Dreven said, getting comfortable in his hiding spot and withdrawing a volume of manga from somewhere in his dress. It displayed some human with an idiot grin playing soccer. "Best wait until the right moment."

"But Seina could return at any moment!" Lilha said, frustrated. Sure, they could sneak inside, but stealing Emiyo's blood might require effort and time they couldn't afford. Dreven only ignored her complaints, laughing as something amusing happened in his manga. Grumbling, Lilha stayed put, hoping the situation might improve, and this mission wasn't a complete waste of time.

---

"Not bad." Colten flitted around, studying the little nest Takako had created for herself.

"Since I'm staying here from now on, I'd need my own place. I'm an independent young woman, you know," Takako replied, lounging on a decorative couch. "Might as well make one for myself."

They sat on a circular coach surrounded by a 1.5-meter plasma TV with game consoles and DVD boxes littered under it. A stone fireplace occupied the opposite side of the room, radiating warmth and heat. It gave the scene a cozy, relaxing aura.

What had once been grimy concrete, Takako had transformed into rich marble. Ugly rusted metal walls became rich mahogany. Walls formed from cement, creating rows of rooms for guests and relaxation. The finest furniture she could imagine populated the rooms. It was the perfect pad for Takako's needs. To think it'd been an abandoned warehouse only a few moments ago. With her powers, anything she'd imagined was possible!

"Much better than Lilha's grimy apartment." Takako made a face. "Never again."

"Nice!" Colten's belly flopped into a velvet cushion, delighting in its comfiness. It almost made him forget about the dire danger his partner had dived into. Right now, she might be fighting for her life against countless evil magical girls! His happiness abruptly ended, replaced with anxiety that made him fidget.