Chapter 28

"Haruko, what are you doing here?" Emiyo asked, momentarily taken aback.

"Cleaning up garbage," Haruko replied, her tone chilly. "What are you even doing here, anyway? Shouldn't you be back at Starlight Dream filing papers or something?"

"I'm here investigating some rebel activity," Emiyo said, not liking the other lieutenant's tone. "Stay out of this. These three are my prey."

"Hardly. The Devil Princess themselves instructed me to destroy Seina's allies," Haruko said in her usual smug, superior tone. "Step aside. The credit for their defeat belongs to me."

"Seina?" Emiyo said, surprised. "How do you know about her? Wait, where even is that little whelp?"

"Seina." Haruko snorted, pleased with herself. "She's become a plaything for Yoshida. At least you can delight that the upstart suffered a hideous death, likely tortured past the point of sanity."

Takako's heart wrenched, fearing for her friend's safety. Thanks to Colten, she knew Seina wasn't dead. But the confirmation that Seina was fighting Reiko was ill news.

Aiko trembled as her usual self-styled confidence faltered. Only the illusive Paliah seemed unconcerned, snorting in derision.

"You know nothing. This world's protector couldn't have lost so easily." Paliah entered a fighting stance with his blade. "And I'm here to protect it while she's gone. Be gone, or meet my steel."

"Who are you supposed to be?" If Haruko was concerned, it didn't show in her expression. She sneered, finding the idea of being threatened by a non-magical girl absurd.

Takako shared her opponent's doubts. While his time trick was nifty, they were fighting magical girls. He'd likely only be dead weight.

"Aiko, flee to safety. We'll handle this." Takako whispered to her friend, taking advantage of Paliah's distraction. She wondered if the exaggerated gestures were intentional.

"Just be careful, okay?" Aiko gave a jerky nod, her worry undisguised. Takako edged around her, using her body to cover her escape. Thankfully, neither lieutenant seemed interested in this random bystander.

"Okay, tough guy," Haruko said, eying Paliah with amusement. She spread her arms wide, leaving herself open. "Show me what you've got."

Paliah hesitated for a moment, knowing it as an open invitation to throw himself into a trap. Before Takako could warn him about the lieutenant's power, he rushed in to strike. To his credit, the knight proved more slippery than either magical girl expected. Mid-slash, he disappeared like smoke and reappeared behind Emiyo, sword stabbing at her blind spot.

The sound of thunder reverberated through the warehouse as his sword shattered into a million shards, centimeters from Haruko's skin. Paliah howled in pain, almost getting shredded by the fragments of his sword. Several pieces pierced right through his armor, as if it'd only been a thin tin can. Blood oozed from multiple puncture points.

"What?" Paliah staggered back, his movements pained.

"I am the untouchable demon, hero," Haruko said, grinning in triumph. Takako rushed forward to save her brash ally, but the lieutenant was too quick. Paliah's body shredded pavement as it struck with impossible speeds. The mangled remains of his body sickened her stomach.

The fool. Takako's confidence faltered, knowing the terrifying danger of Haruko's power. It controlled vectors, all vectors. It made striking her impossible by any means, some rumors suggesting even magic wouldn't work.

"Serves him right for stabbing me. So there!" Emiyo's taunt proved short-lived, however. She howled in pain as a blade pierced her heart, she stood still seemingly in surprise before coughing up a mouthful of blood.