Chapter thirteen

.

.

.

Giyuu sat at the edge of the cliff.

It had been three months since Tanjiro's disappearance. Nezuko, Inosuke, and Zenitsu had stopped visiting him.

Giyuu was alone. He only had two people in the world that he had even a severed bond with.

He ruined it. He had cussed out Shinazugawa directly after a hashira meeting, Infront of all of the other hashira.

He had nobody to turn to, nothing to do. The sky above him darkened as rain clouds filled the sky.
The rain began to pour, as if it had been summoned. Honestly, was there a reason to keep going?

Giyuu looked down, past the cliff's edge.

The forest looked peaceful.
Maybe, if he...
No. Not here. Not now.
Giyuu shook his head and stood up, wanting to drown out these horrible thoughts. He could hear the raindrops hit the ground as he ran in the direction of his estate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giyuu was almost at his estate, only a few steps away, when he heard something.

"Meow?"

The soft noise of a kitten's meow. Pure and gentle.
Giyuu stopped dead in his tracks, and turned to where the small noise came from.

There it was, a small calico kitten, eyes still closed. It was a sad sight, really. The cat was so small and weak, and you could tell it was starving. The mother had most likely abandoned it.

Giyuu walked towards the small animal, kneeling down in front of it. The cat was startled, and tried to run away, only to fail and end up falling over.

Giyuu felt sympathy for the small animal. He reached out his hand, petting it with his pointer finger.

Small purrs could be heard.

Giyuu reached out his other hand and picked up the animal, scooping it into his arms and wrapping it in his haori.

Giyuu walked slowly towards his house, still looking at the animal. He opened his door slowly and closed it at the same place, being careful not to startle the now sleeping animal.
He opened the small closet next to his door, pulling out a soft cloth. He slid off his shoes and walked to his bedroom.

Giyuu placed the cloth on the ground, unfolding it and spreading it across the floor. He places the kitten inside of it and wrapping it around the cat. Then sighed and stood up, leaving to prepare for bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giyuu stared at the ceiling like he would every other night. He kept thinking about Tanjiro's disappearance, and Rengoku's death. Come to think of it, it was like Sabito and Tsutako's deaths.

His best friend, and someone who he thought of as a sibling.

The first rays of sunshine danced along the curtains, informing Giyuu that it was now morning.

Giyuu sat up. It was the day after the hashira meeting, so there shouldn't be another one today.
Giyuu slid off of his bed and walked towards the closet. He didn't have to put on his uniform today, but he was too lazy to throw together an outfit.

-After he changed bc I'm a normal person-

Giyuu turned towards the small kitten laying on the ground, still wrapped in the fuzzy red blanket. He walked towards it, kneeling Infront of the now awake animal.

Giyuu had decided on the name Kishi. It wasn't amazing, but atleast it was something.

"Meow!" The kitten scrambled towards Giyuu.
Giyuu pat Kishi on the head, and it began to purr.

Giyuu couldn't help but smile. Even if it was just a small smile.

Then he remembered how the kitten needed to be fed.

Giyuu stood up and walked out of the door, grabbing his haori as he went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giyuu walked back to his estate holding his groceries. All of them were for the cat, of course.

There was a cat bed, a scratching post, cat toys, wet cat food, etc.

Once Giyuu arrived, he opened the door with his only available hand and slipped inside, shutting the door behind him.
"Meow!"
Kishi was laying on the ground not too far away from the front door. Giyuu walked to the bedroom and got everything set up, before taking out a bowl. He began to walk to the kitchen, holding the bowl with Kishi's name engraved on the side.

Once he made it to the kitchen, he placed the bowl onto the counter and opened a can of cat food, pouring it into the bowl.

"Meow!" Kishi obviously knew that he had food.
Giyuu walked over to the pantry and place the bowl next to it, Kishi dashed over to the food.

Giyuu kneeled down in front of the cat, this was now the only emotional support he had.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Two weeks later ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Meow!" Giyuu woke up to Kishi staring into his soul.
"What the fuck..." Giyuu thought as he returned the same glare to the cat.

Giyuu picked up the cat and sat up, placing it in his lap. Kishi began to purr loudly.

Knock knock
The sound of knocking on the door broke the moment of silence. Giyuu picked up the cat and placed it next to him. He stood up, still in his pajamas. Giyuu checked the clock.

5:48 A.M.

Why was someone knocking on his door at such an early time? Surely there wasn't a hashira meeting, they had one last Wednesday. He had also already completed his mission to the small village, so why was there someone at his door?

Giyuu shook his head and made his way to the door, not even bothering to change out of his pajamas.

“Knock knock„ The person on the other side knocked again.

Giyuu opened the door slowly, revealing a 5'0 tall insect pillar.

Giyuu stared straight into Shinobu's soul.

"God's morning, Tomioka-san!~ How have you been today?~" The short woman asked.

"What do you want, Kocho." Giyuu replied coldly.

"Ara Ara, Tomioka-San!~ There's no need to be rude!~" The insect pillar sure knew how to annoy Giyuu.

"Well, Tomioka-Sa-"

"Meow?" Kishi meowed questioningly.

Shinobu's gaze shifted to the small kitten next to Giyuu, before it returned to Giyuu.

"When did you get such an adorable cat, Tomioka-san?" Shinobu asked, genuinely wanted to steal his cat.

"None of your business, Kocho. Now leave me alone." Giyuu didn't want to deal with her bs at the moment.

"But Tomio-"
Giyuu shut the door in Shinobu's face.