Chapter 21 : Past Mistakes Are Future Problems

A familiar scream echoed throughout the small room, causing me to slump down against the wall in fear.

Sweat dripped down my forehead, as I shakily lifted my hand in order to wipe it away. I was trapped. He needed me and I couldn't be there.

The screams continued to intensify, as did my hammering heartbeat after each one.

"A-ash?" I croaked out, greeted by nothing but silence in return.

I heard slow footsteps followed by uneven breathing, causing me to pull my legs up to my chest.

"Ash... Please. A-are you there?"

The footsteps got louder, followed by a loud clank from outside the metal box room I found myself in.

Huddling closer to the corner, I wrapped my arms around my legs, my trembling becoming more and more serious.

A short silence followed before the metal door creaked open, a black apparition appearing on the other side.

"A-ash?" I called out again, but I was given no reply besides the heavy breathing and the uncomfortable wheezing of the figure in front of me.

All of a sudden, it darted forward, holding a flick knife against my throat.

"No! No! Please!" I yelled, trying to pry the strong hands away from the delecate skin that the knife was slowly penetrating.

"Your brother was stupid. Don't make the same mistake."

"Please... stop..." I forced out, the pair of hands tightening around my neck, and the knife slowly sliding around the base of my throat.

-

"Kimberly!" Casey yelled, shaking my shoulders in order to wake me up from my nightmare.

I jerked upwards, nearly head-butting her in the process.

I wasn't aware of the sweat dripping down my forehead until Casey reached forward to wipe it away with a wet cloth.

"What the fuck, are you okay? You've been freaking out for thirty minutes. I thought you were having a fucking seizure or something."

I then noticed her eyes were puffy and bloodshot, making it obvious that she had been crying. My heart sank into my stomach.

"I-I'm fine. Just a nightmare."

Even with the dim lighting, I could tell that she was deathly pale. I must have seriously scared her if this was the kind of state she was in.

"Hey." I whispered, lifting a hand in order to gently stroke her cheek.

"I'm okay. Don't worry about me. Go back to sleep, okay?"

She redirected her gaze to the floor, clutching her stomach.

"You alright?"

"Yeah... I just... been feeling so weird lately."

"Weird?"

She nodded, giving me a weak smile as if trying to convince me she was genuinely alright. I wasn't buying it.

Just as I was about to open my mouth to speak, she darted in the opposite direction, towards the bathroom - where I'm pretty sure she was busy bringing up.

A part of me wanted to get up to tend to her, as she had done me - but instead I found myself unable to get off the bed. I was still too much in shock to consider it.

"Case?"

"I'm okay." She called shakily from the bathroom. I nodded to myself, laying back down and pulling the covers over my bare body. I'd seemingly forgotten what Casey and I had been up to last night, but nonetheless once the memory came flooding back I found myself smiling at the thought.