CHAPTER 18: Beneath the Tree

Luke just stared blankly to his phone after the unexpected confession of his cousin.

“ That bastard.” He whispered and scoffs.

“ hey! What are you doing there?! Care to join us?!” Shouted Claire from outside and without a second thought, Luke immediately walk closer towards them and grab a bottle of beer and drink it straight that makes Claire shouted for amazement.

“ Wow! That’s what I’m talking about” She said while eyes about to close for so much drunkenness.

<<<<<>>>>>

Sunday morning rain is falling. I get up early after hearing the old music from downstairs that maybe Dad was listening playing on the radio. I don’t know why I become so sad hearing that sound like someone’s talking to me about their past or maybe its because of grandmas disappearance when suddenly heard the few lyrics and remember something. Honestly I’m not good at remembering something in the past but this one is definitely surprising.

🎶 I found her diary underneath the tree, and started reading about me, the words she'd written took me by surprise, you'd never read them in her eyes. She said that she had found the love she'd waited for. Wouldn’t you know it, she wouldn’t show it…🎶

Even if I’m not that so sure but remembering what grandma told me about the old diary and how she remember it makes me more surprised just by now! Yes! She already told me where she hid that thing at last! And this song helped me remind myself how slow my mind was.

“ What are you doing? Asked my Dad seeing me holding a shovel.

“ I’m going to the backyard to check something Dad!” I said with extremely excited feeling.

“ okay? Without having a sip of coffee early at this hour?” He said with eyes wondering.
I just gave him a smile and quickly go. “ Hey! Watch your steps!” He shouted for my running moment.

Here I go panting when at last reach grandmas secret little farm, I am standing in front of the old tree where I once cleaned before grandma told me to do that.

“ I hope she didn’t buried it so deep.” I whispered and now started to dig and dig and dig! Until...

“ Yes! I got it grandma!” I said so loud and about to cry seeing my grandmas only unforgettable memory that she cherished all her life!

The diary was covered with plastic and looks very old. I slowly open the sealed plastic when I notice the piece of paper inside of it saying…

” I found your diary underneath the tree but I still love you..no matter what happened…i still do. I hope you’re still happy even if I’m not the person you wished to be with for the rest of your life.”

Its obviously not grandmas handwritten because I saw her different cursive handwritten as I open few leaves of her diary.

“ its grandpas.” I slowly said.

<<<<<>>>>>

I called mom saying what I just got that makes her surprised and disappointed at the same time. I understand her part because she’s grandmas daughter but she doesn’t have any idea what was going on back then. Yes..grandma was really a surprising person and honestly..there’s more if I read her old diary, but I think its not the right time to do that. All I want is for her to recover and lend it to her personally..and I will gladly read it for her if she wants me to read it..its curiosity that makes me feel this way…sounds like meddling somebody’s private lives but its grandma..and I really feel she wants to share it for telling me about her diary.