1. Ultraviolet

Finished - August 1, 2022

Word Count - 4323 

Music - Enigmatic Soul - Two Steps from Hell

********************************

Flashes of color, explosions of anger and blasts of chaos filled the air. A disagreement between Heroes and Villains disrupted the friendly neighborhood. Children's playgrounds, innocent mailboxes and peaceful homes; now covered in ash. Different teams of heroes escorted civilians to safety, while others jumped directly into the line of fire. The heroes worked diligently to keep their city safe from miscreants who decided to use their quirks for evil.

No matter how attentive they try to be, Heroes can not be responsible for everything. Heroes try to save everyone and keep everyone happy, but they are still human. As hard as they try, they are not perfect and things will seep through the cracks.

Nevertheless, they still push themselves beyond their limits. Heroes do what they can whenever they can. That is what it means to be a Hero.

While the battle raged, two people sat in the darkness, hiding away from the commotion. Tucked away in a closet, a father and daughter clung to each other.

Hands gripped tightly around the soft clothes of her fathers shirt. Her tiny hands trembled with anxiety, tensing with every sudden noise from just beyond the window. Tears fell from her eyes, both squeezed tight, not wanting to know what was happening beyond the small apartment.

The small girl hid with her father in the back of a closet, the darkness keeping them safe. Shirts and dresses hung from their hangers and tickled their shoulders. Swaying from the trembles of the foundation under their feet.

When Yuu Takari saw the ruckus outside, he knew he had to keep his daughter safe, without even thinking he grabbed his child and ran to the closet. He would not leave her alone, he would not let her feel such fear by herself.

Yuu was no Hero, he was what some people considered, quirkless. No power behind his hands and no strength under his feet to help him defend his family from terrors. Instead he trained to be healer and savior of those who were hurt in battle. He worked as a full time Nurse at his local Hospital.

Nevertheless, in situations such as these, he felt useless and unworthy. His wife, she was the true hero. She ran an agency to help train young heroes. She was a powerful Hero who helped countless people. She was what inspired Yuu to be a healer. Her powers were beautiful and elegant.

Her official title was Ultraviolet. But he called her Hisano, his beloved wife. While Yuu was cowering in fear, holding his daughter; Hisano was out there. Fighting and saving those caught in the quarrel. He didn't even know who was fighting, or why they were fighting.

All Yuu knew; protect his daughter. His precious little girl, curled in his arms. The small child trembled, tears falling from her eyes, yet she stayed silent. She didn't want to be caught, therefore she was quiet.

Little fingers trembled around the cloth of Yuu's shirt, face buried in his shoulder. The child sat frozen in fear of the battle just outside the walls. Allira Takari repeated her mothers words over and over in her mind, as a sort of comfort.

"Heroes do what they can whenever they can. That is what it means to be a Hero." The exact words floated around Allira's head, the reminder that the Heros are trying their best.

The familiarity of her mothers voice soothes her panicked brain, keeping her sane as the attacks continue. She prayed that her mother would come back to them safely, that she would be alright in the end.