20. Names

Finished - January 20, 2023

Word Count - 7232

Music - Snow Angels - Two Steps from Hell

********************************

Class couldn't seem longer. Every class seemed to drag on forever and every piece of homework drained Allira's brain more. Even training proved more exhausting than normal. All because she was excited for what followed.

She had her first official "date" with Bakugo, a real outing scheduled for after school. She and Bakugo had gotten together alone plenty of times, but it was usually for training or sleeping. This would be different, an adventure! They planned to actually leave campus and spend time together outside of school.

When the clock struck 3:00, she jumped out of her seat in excitement and dragged Bakugo back to the dorms. The two students ran all the way there as a race. Trying to see who was faster. A challenge that Allira usually won, her unmatched speed had only increased over the semester.

Allira changed into a fun outfit for the journey. Over the winter holidays, Ashido and Jiro had taken her on several trips back to the mall. From the many excursions, Allira had collected several new ensembles that matched her style.

She layered a small darkly patterned skirt over a set of warm leggings and tucked a form fitting black shirt into the waistline. Overtop, she wrapped a scarf around her neck, placed a black beanie over her white hair and pulled on a warm black coat. Lastly she grabbed her black combat boots and slipped them over her fuzzy socks, which popped out just above the top of the boot.

With one last look in the mirror, she found the look appealing, grabbed her backpack purse and rushed out the door.

Allira floated down the stairs quickly and noticed that Bakugo wasn't there yet. He was probably still changing or getting ready.

But there was one person that she hadn't expected to see. Standing in front of the door was Aizawa, his hands in his pockets, hair pulled back in a messy half bun.

"Hey Mr. Aizawa." Allira greeted her teacher.

"Takari, where are you going in such a rush?" He noticed her attire.

"Bakugo and I are going out." She stated plainly. 

"And you didn't think to tell me about it first?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Oh." Allira realized her mistake. "We just planned it this morning, it was a very last minute decision."

"That doesn't matter, you should always tell me if you are leaving campus." Aizawa pushed, his voice suddenly very serious. "Especially you."

"What?" Allira was taken aback by his comment. Did he think she couldn't handle herself? Did he have such little faith in her? Was he so disappointed with her efforts in training to say that? 

Aizawa pinched the bridge of his nose and huffed in frustration. "Nevermind."

An awkward hush filled the space between their conversation. Allira didn't know how to follow his statement and Aizawa knew he couldn't explain why he said what he said.

One step at a time, Allira backed away from her professor, her hands held tightly against her chest. She suddenly felt inadequate and unworthy of the clothes on her back. The excitement she had just felt was completely gone now, replaced with shame and reminder of all her shortcomings.

"Hey, old man." Both Allira and Aizawa's head turned to the rude voice.

"How many times have I told you ot to call me that?" Aizawa sighed.