Chapter 47

After leaving Sarah's house and picking up some food, I spend nearly ten minutes stood outside pressing the buzzer to get back in. In the end I phone Cheryl's mobile.

'Kimba?'

'Chez, are you ok? Why aren't you answering the door?'

I hear Cheryl sigh with relief. 'Hang on babe, sorry.'

'What's wrong?'

'I'll tell you in a minute.'

When I get in, I sense Cheryl is trying to distract me. 'Wow, that smells great. D'you want a drink with it? I've heated up some plates, I thought we--'

'Cheryl, why weren't you answering the door?'

'It doesn't matter. What film d'you want to watch?'

I stand in Cheryl's way when she goes for the plates. 'Did someone try and get in here?'

Realising she can't lie, Cheryl nods. 'Sort of.'

'What do you mean sort of?'

'One of the paps got inside the gates and kept pressing the buzzer. Kept asking why I left and didn't come back last night. He wouldn't stop ringing the buzzer.'

'You should've rang me straight away.'

'And caused you to have an accident getting back?'

'How did he even get in?'

'I don't know!' Cheryl snaps, pushing me out of the way. Deciding to leave her to it for a minute, I drop the bag of food on the table. 'It happens again, we call the police. Right?'

'Whatever.'

'I'll get the wine.'

We sit in silence throughout the meal. Cheryl keeps bashing her fork furiously against the plate when she takes a mouthful, and it's driving me mad.

'Cheryl, can you eat a bit quieter?' I say jokingly. Hoping to cheer her up.

'I'm annoyed, Kim! I'm even getting harassed in me own fcuking home now!'

Cheryl continues the annoying scraping and clanging noises.

'Babe, I know you're p!ssed off but that's driving me mad, can you please stop that awful scraping noise?' I laugh.

'Or what? You gonna hit us?' Cheryl snaps.

I stare at her. She stares back, the expression on her face bearing the same look of horror I imagine must be on mine.

'I didn't mean that.'

I just nod, forcing a reassuring smile, and go back to eating.

'Kimba?'

'It's ok Cheryl' just finish your tea.'

'Kimba, I didn't--'

We both jump as the buzzer goes. Looking at each other, we both stand up and go to the door. Cheryl answers. 'Who's there?'

'Cheryl, did you fight with your girlfriend last night?'

'Is that the same one from before?' I whisper. Cheryl nods. 'Right.'

I open the door but Cheryl grabs my arm. 'Don't, what are you doing?!'

'I'm gonna tell him to get lost!'

'You're not going down there.'

The buzzer goes again.

Ignoring Cheryl, I storm out of the flat and outside. When I throw open the door, the man at the buzzer jumps back, looking surprised. He has a camera around his neck.