Chapter 39

I sat next to Cheryl and didn't take my eyes off her from the second I was let in to see her. I rest my hand on her good arm and just wait.

When she starts to stir and her eyes flicker, I take her hand. She instantly tightens her grip, and her eyes open.

'Hi Kimba.'

I feel tears prick my eyes and lean forward and kiss her forehead. 'Hello beautiful.'

'You been good for me?' Cheryl murmurs with a sleepy smile.

'Don't be silly Cheryl.' I laugh. 'I've been waiting for you. I'm gonna tell a doctor you're awake.'

'No... just sit here with us a minute.' Cheryl sighs. 'Just give us a minute of peace before I get poked and prodded again.'

'I can do that.'

'You look knackered.' Cheryl smiles. 'Are you alright?'

'Cheryl... before, when I-I saw - I did something really stupid...'

'Sshhh.' Cheryl touches my lips with her fingers, then slides them down my face, cupping my chin. 'Not now Kimba... it's ok.'

'Does it hurt?'

Cheryl pulls me closer. 'It won't if you kiss us.'

**

'Are you sure you're gonna be alright?'

Cheryl looks out at the gaggle of paparazzi, waiting. 'It's the fastest way, I just wanna get out of here.' She murmurs.

We managed to delay Cheryl's mum for a couple of days, until Cheryl was allowed home. Gary is now waiting outside in the temporary car Cheryl got out of her insurance deal, and later he's going to pick her up while I take care of Cheryl.

We were going to sneak out of the back entrance, but there are paparazzi there now as well, and it's smaller and narrower, more chance of Cheryl getting hurt.

'Let's go, before one of them actually sees us stood here watching them and gets excited.' Cheryl sighs.

I slip my arm around her and hold her against me as tightly as I dare. I feel her fist tighten on the back of my jacket and she clutches my arm with her other hand.

We stride outside and head for the car as quickly as possible. It isn't long before they surround us, camera flashes blinding me. Cheryl keeps her head down and I keep my arm around her, using my other hand to push past anyone who gets in our way.

'How are you Cheryl?'

'How are you feeling after the accident Cheryl?'

'Cheryl, have you anything to say about the person who caused the accident?'

'Cheryl what are you doing about your musical commitments while you recuperate?'

When we get to the car Gary gets out and blocks their way while we climb in, then sets off as fast as possible. Cheryl is still clinging to me, and I don't let go of her either. I kiss the top of her head gently. 'You ok?'

'Yeah, fine.'

'I'm just gonna drop you two off then go straight to get mam, I'll keep her out for a bit in town, let youse spend some time together.' Gary says from the front.

'You don't have to do that--' I say, but Cheryl raises her voice above mine and says, 'Thanks Gary, that'd be great.'

**

'You comfortable babe?' I ask as I take Cheryl a cup of tea. She laughs at me.

'If I was any more comfortable, I'd be fast asleep.'