Chapter 18

=JR Headquarters Grail's Office=

Nightmare frowned reading over the Bitty Adoption papers, "this form is amazingly lacking, it is identical to the adoption forms for a cat."

Grail sighs, "we are not making as much headway on Bitty Rights as one would hope at least they are allowed to testify in court like children but they are still properly like animals is quite frustrating."

Stavrós nods, "Efiáltis thinks we should try to slip them into the anti-slavery laws.  Unfortunately that would only apply to working Bitties."

Nightmare finished with the paperwork quickly, "have you tried the monster rights and protections laws they are monsters after all."

Nibs relaxes seeing the papers signed, "so we just left Flower, Outer, and Bit in the break room. Are we picking them up on the way out?"

Grail blinks, "you're right I was so focused on Error I forgot them."

Stavrós shrugs, "we left snacks and Bit was still asleep. I don't see why we shouldn't let them rest for now."

Nightmare hands Stavrós the adoption papers, "I don't think Flower minds more time with Outer.  Everyone mistakes his relationship with his Frisk for a romantic one but it is more familial."

Grail frowns confused, "I am not sure I understand but are you trying to foster a romance between Flower and Outer?"

Stavrós chuckles, "okay now I am sure he is Efiáltis counterpart.  Your brother did found the multiverse shipping council."

Nightmare hums looking impressed, "I will have to see if I can get Lust to do that.  Nothing like love for balance, it generates just as many negative emotions as positive."

"Thought ya had given up on balance." Horror sets a couple of trunks down and steps out of the way for Efiáltis and Láthos to roll in a large suitcase each.

Efiáltis snorts softly, "one cannot actually give that up, not completely it is part of who we are, it would be like giving up eating or breathing.  Sure a skeleton can do it for longer than most but in the end it is required."

"Probably why Error was all but completely packed. He has been ready to go home from the moment he woke up." Láthos frowns at Error sleeping wrapped in Nightmare's tentacles.

"I wish he had told us that was how he felt.  I would have got him a few crates of HU chocolate to keep on hand."  Stavrós tucks the paperwork in his inventory.

Grail takes Error's medical files out of one of the filing cabinets and passes them to Nightmare. "I had hoped he was not unhappy here."

Nightmare looks at Horror then Efiáltis before looking away, "your right Horror when I believed Error died I couldn't care about the balance."

Horror looks away glaring at the floor, "you care about it now?" Horror glances at Nightmare and Error then away again clearly uncomfortable with whatever he is trying to ask.

Efiáltis looks from Horror to Nightmare, "well fuck you went self destructive without your soulmate."

Láthos pulls Efiáltis into a hug from behind, "no cursing in public.  It is not really that surprising for soulmates."

Stavrós fidgets, glancing at Grail with worry, "what do you mean it isn't surprising for soulmates?"

"He means that soulmates are born for each other, they balance each other mentally and emotionally.  They stabilize and reinforce each other's magic.  Soulmates can hate each other but alone they are incomplete.  That is why if one dies the other often follows soon after, if they survive to care for children for example it is often a slow death just waiting for the end."  Grail passes Nightmare the files not looking at any of them.

Horror grunts and nods, "and Sans types are the most likely to have a soulmate because high magic levels and predisposition to depression makes us unstable.  Personally never met mine if I have one."

Nightmare reaches out with a tentacle and pats Horror on the back, "sorry Horror you are one of the most stable Sans, I've ever met even after everything you have been through."

Nibs yawns, "or he just hasn't met everyone yet.  Even if he did, they might end up being best friends instead of romantic.  I think a good mate who you love and have a healthy relationship with is better than a soulmate unless you can have a healthy relationship with them."

Looking around their little group and noticing how stressed Stavrós seems and Horror had mentioned a mate so this was a sensitive topic.  "So, does anyone want to round up the others and play Mario Kart while we wait for Cyan to get back with the chocolate?"

Láthos nods, going along with the subject change, "maybe the other one will be awake by now."

"Does that apply to all soulmates or just those who have bonded?"  Unfortunately Stavrós didn't seem to get the memo about changing the subject.

"It doesn't seem to apply to those who haven't met their soulmate.  As far as anyone can tell, bondling is not required just time in each other's varsity, even casual contact in battle regularly is enough."  Grail messes with the papers on his desk not looking at anyone.

"I don't see that Mario Kart is going to be enough to distract him but let's go back to the others anyway and I will consider Error's request to throw the book at them."  Nightmare heads for the door grabbing the luggage on the way past to stuff into his inventory.

Horror chuckles leaned into the pats.  "Do you have a copy with you? I am sure Error would totally not hate that."

Efiáltis frowns, "why would Error want a book thrown at us and why does it matter what book it is?"

Nibs looks back at Stavrós and Grail with pity as Nightmare walks out the door.  "Considering Error not having a negative response is practically a positive I am curious to."

Láthos nods, "and if Error wanted a book thrown at someone why not do it himself?"

"I hope we haven't offended Error in some way." Grail stands keeping an eyelight on Stavrós he really hadn't planned on telling him this stuff about soulmates yet if ever.

Stavrós shuffles after them looking lost in his own thoughts and worries.

Horror laughs harder, "Nightmare King of Nightmares and Negativity has a unique approach to ceremonies of all kinds.  When Blue and Dust asked permission to date years ago he threw a relationship guide at them and told them not to bother him.  Later when they asked him to preform their wedding he did the same with the Idiots Guide To Marriage.  Because he really is the king of his AU it was legally binding.  It has been the marriage tradition of those who associate with him ever since." He shrugs, grinning and not the least bothered that getting married was boiled down to getting a book thrown at you.

"It is efficient." Nightmare smirks slightly, "I actually have several different guides in my inventory for most likely occasions."

Efiáltis stares at him for a minute then dissolves into giggles, "oh my Fox it is like you are a version of Grail that has a sense of humor and doesn't put up with bs!"

Nibs hums watching Láthos eye Nightmare with interest, "so it is like legally binding unlike Stavrós's marriage to his chocolate stash?"

"It is in my multiverse because I make the laws in my AU and the multiverse respects the laws of individual AUs.  I am not sure if my authority extends outside of my multiverse."  Nightmare looks around thoughtfully while his tentacles snuggle Error.

Grail shakes his head catching up, "probably not legal here then but it is a kind if, chaotic thought."

Recovering enough to attempt a joke, Stavrós pouts, "I am going to have to divorce my stash.  I will likely lose the boat in the divorce."

Efiáltis laughs, "good that think sinks every time you put it on the water."

Horror looks at them amused as they make their way down stairs, "what boat?"

"Stavrós has this pedal powered canal boat.  It is like a tiny house boat that he built himself.  Only it sinks every time he puts it on the water and we have to pull it out and he tries to make it pond worthy again." Láthos shrugs. "It is his hobby so I don't mind."