Broken Souls 1

-OuterTale #0 Multiverse #536-

Nightmare gently sets a Bouquet of Galaxy Roses in front of the marker he has placed at Error's favorite stargazing spot on the cliff above the void, before sitting down next to it.  "Hey Error, did you miss me?  I miss you so, so much.  We all managed to survive the fall.  Well most of the multiverse didn't but the ones that matter to us made it.  What was left of the council sealed Ink so what is left is stable.  You would like it, it is peaceful."

Stepping through a portal, Dream staggered under the weight of the negativity pouring off Nightmare.  No not negativity, pain, grief, loneliness, and loss.  It would have taken him to his knees six years ago, but he had learned to shoulder the pain and move forward since the day Nightmare had stopped taking care of their balance.  He watched as his brother whipped away tears and talked to his dead friend feeling the guilt of what he had done eating him alive.

"Horror moved to FarmTale #3, I am pretty sure he is in love with David the local Sans.  Blue kidnapped Dust and held him hostage until I let them build a cottage at the other end of the guardian.  At least that is what they told his brother.  Truthfully I threatened to kick them out of the gang if I had to listen to one more night of their endless honeymoon.  I am pretty sure Dust is pregnant.  Cross and Epic moved to the Chara support system to take care of them.  Fresh's code took a hard hit during the fall and he can feel now.  Him and Killer have been dating for a while.  Fox above, Error how you would have laughed at Color's face when he tried to save Killer again at the last meeting promising to help him get his feelings back.  Only instead of dealing with that nonsense again he yanked Fresh into a kiss.  I miss your laugh even if it was ironic, I miss just being able to sit with you on the couch at night, I miss everything.  I wish I had the courage to tell you how much I love you, before when it might have made a difference."  Unable to go on, Nightmare broke down sobbing, his tentacles wrapping tightly around him as if trying to give himself the hug he could not accept from anyone else.

Dream whipped his tears with shaking hands watching his brother mourn and hating himself for what he had done.  No wonder Nightmare hated him, he had never been there when he needed him.  Too busy listening to his friends to pay attention to what it was doing to his twin the first time it had cost them their AU and left Nightmare covered in negativite goop.  The second time had cost the life of what he was sure was Nightmare's SOULmate.  The pain in his apple SOUL told him that Nightmare would not survive if Dream failed this time.   "Nightmare."  Dream didn't try to hide the soul ache in his voice at seeing his brother hurting like this.

Nightmare jumped to his feet and whirled around to face Dream, his tentacles springing up around him, the tips sharpening.  Nightmare stood poised to fight at world's end, standing on the edge mentally, physically, emotionally.  "What are you doing here Dream?"  His words dripped malice like venom.

Dream pressed a palm flat against his chest over his aching SOUL.  "Please Nightmare I know I have failed you.  Over and over but please let me help you.  Please you can't keep doing this, it has been six years.  Brother please, you come here almost every day it is tearing you apart inside."

Nightmare spat in disgust, "Help me? Help me, do not make me laugh.  You left your brother to fight for his life, and do your job for you, every single day.  You turned your back on him to go play with your so-called friends while he bled for you.  I am not that guardian anymore.  Help me, you say? Like you did Error when you abused your position to rip every shred of positivity and hope out of one of the kindest beings in the multiverse? Or maybe help like you did the multiple times he would stagger home with broken bones after fighting you and Ink?  Or maybe you mean help like you did while planning Error's murder?  No false guardian I most definitely do not need your kind of help."