Good Friends

My head was suffering as soon as I opened my eyes. As soon as my vision focused, I realized I was in my room. My window was dark now, and I looked down to find that I was wearing a plain black tee and sweats. Mom immediately stood from her chair as I groggily sat up, feeling a slight headache. 

"How are you feeling? You slept for a while, it's 7:30 now. Do you want any water?"

"Water, please," My throat felt hoarse, and my face felt puffy and warm. She handed me a glass, and I drank the whole thing in one go. I wiped my mouth, giving the glass to her. She sets it on the bedside table, "So, do you remember anything?"

I nodded, "Is. Is uh, Ren...?"

Mom said, "He dropped you off and stayed for a few minutes to wait for me to get home. He left as soon as I was here. He apologized and said he had something important to do."

I nodded, and I motioned to my attire.

"Did you change me?" I said as I picked at the sheets.

"I did, you were sweating a lot when you wore your uniform."

Mom asked, "What happened? Ren said you had a panic attack but, he didn't tell me what it was about. Was it because of him?"

I looked up at her and was hesitant of telling the truth.

Mom sent me a solemn look as she pats my hand, "I've been thinking of what's been happening to you. I don't want to see you like this."

She sniffed as she asked, "Do you want me to break this off?"

"But, what about debts we owe to them? Wouldn't you lose your job?"

Mom shrugged, "I would give up everything. So, you could be happy. I see how miserable you've been, Nova. I was ignorant in thinking this engagement would help. I'm sorry."

I bit my lip as she sent me a genuine look of regret and sympathy. I shook my head, "You can't. It's too late Mom. I don't want you to sacrifice anymore. Besides, it's just a one-year commitment."

She caressed my face, "You always put a strong front for everyone. You're the strongest young woman I've come to know. However, I wish you'd be kinder to yourself."

I blinked as she continued, "I'll respect your wish. I just want you to be safe. Also, if you have one of those attacks again, I don't want you driving...ok?"

I weakly smiled, "Yes mom, I won't drive."

She caressed my hand and said, "You rest now. If you need anything, call any one of us."

"Thanks, mom," I said. She takes the glass, and walks out of my room, closing the door softly. I took the sheets off and sat at the edge of the bed. My body felt groggy, the drugs were wearing off. I wore my slippers to walk to the bathroom. After I used it, I looked at myself in the mirror. 

'Ugh, I look like a mess,' I said as I looked at my tear-stained face. I pumped some cleanser in my hands and cleaned my face. I blended in some moisturizer and brushed my hair afterward. I walked out of the bathroom towards my phone and saw notifications from MJ, Gorya, and Kaning.

MJ: Are you feeling ok? It's been a mess over here.

MJ: Thyme took Ren out of F4. I don't know why. Text me as soon as you feel better.

Kaning: Did something happen? Kavin told me you had a panic attack, are you ok?

So he did tell them, I thought to myself.

Gorya: Can we talk?

Gorya: I'm outside of your house.

I snapped up after reading her message. A knock on my door and I turned, "Come in."