Something Sentimental

My face felt warm as soon as I woke up. I could feel my cheeks bloat into puffiness. My back cracked into a million tones when I sat up. I sighed and slapped my face as I thought about what happened last night. We decided to be friends despite everything that happened between us. Friends. I couldn't comprehend what I felt. Even though I wanted to move on, I felt some resentment harbored inside. I don't know if I could ever let it go. I combed through my oily scalp, my fingers sticking through the knots, my scalp tingling from the sensation. My phone rang on top of my nightstand, and I looked at my screen–flashing Aunt Naiyana's name. I rested my palm against my pillow-marked cheek and answered the call.

I cleared my throat, my voice sounded raspy, "Hi, Aunt Nai."

"Hi Nova, did you just wake up."

"Don't worry, you didn't wake me. I just woke up so..."

"That's good. Anyway, I was wondering if you'd like to come to the house this afternoon," she said.

I glanced at my wall clock, which hung on top of my desk, at 11:00 AM. "I'll be there," I responded.

"Great, see you around 12. Bye, darling," she hung up before I could respond. I groaned and got up from my bed. I wore my fuzzy slides and made my way to the kitchen. Alia heard my footsteps after I stepped off the staircase and greeted me, "Good morning Ms. Nova! Would you like to have your bathroom cleaned?"

I smiled, "Good morning, and no, I went ahead and scrubbed my bathtub a few days ago."

She pouted, "Ms. Nova, allow me to do the cleaning. That is what I'm paid to do after all."

I patted her shoulder, "You do my dry cleaning every day and clean the rooms. I'm fine with cleaning here and there as well."

I walked ahead of her and asked, "Did you eat yet?"

"I haven't, I was just about to before doing the laundry. Your food is set on the table, Ms. Nova," she explained.

"You should join me. Bring your food too," I said as I sat at the table. She smiled and took a bowl of porridge, sitting next to me. I dipped my spoon into my bowl of porridge and boiled quail egg. It tasted salty but with a soft texture on my tongue. The water quenched my thirst, and the porridge settled in my stomach, making me instantly bloated.

"So, where are mom and the rest?", I asked.

"Madam Preeya went to the office this morning. Ms. Cel had Uncle Ken take her to the market. 

Oh, that reminds me," she says as she gets from her seat and runs to the island. She takes a pot with beautiful pink orchids. "Madam wants you to give this to Madam Naiyana when you get the chance."

"Mom knew I'm seeing her today?"

Alia nodded, "I'm guessing Madam Aira asked beforehand."

"They're beautiful. Ok, I can take them to her," I said as I delicately touched the soft petal. Alia goes back to her seat, and we continue our breakfast. I looked at Alia, and she was eating her food diligently. At that moment, I realized I knew nothing about her, a sort of bizarre epiphany. I scooped around my porridge and asked, "Ali. Can I ask you about your life?"

She stops and looks at me with surprise, "All of sudden?"

I flushed in embarrassment and shook my head, "Sorry, forget I asked. That was rude of me."

Alia blinked and slowly dipped her spoon in her bowl, "I don't mind it. I'm just more curious about why you're asking?"

I shrugged, "It's just...you've been working for us for a couple of years. I've never given the time to know you. All I know is that your Aunt Cel's niece, and that you're 21."