A New Beginning

TW: greif, attempt

9 years ago...

When you're an innocent child, you have no sense of time or awareness of life. Your life can change in just a blink of an eye.

Dad's funeral was held a few days after he passed. My parents planned it all before he died.

The funeral itself was a blur. All I could think of as people came up to me, is nothing. I didn't want to hear their condolences, I didn't want to hear how they knew my dad, and most of all "you're so strong." I knew I wasn't, I will never be, without him.

The Aira's came except Ren. Not that I expected him to. It's been 2 weeks and no word from him. Auntie Nai has been helping us move to America since that's where we're going now. Mom was too busy with the move, and since dad passed—her personality made a 180.

I sat on my swing out in the backyard. It is the day I'm supposed to go to the airport. Mom went ahead a week before to make sure our apartment had all of our things.

A breeze blew onto my face even though it was the middle of summer in Thailand. My stuff is already at San Francisco with Mom so, all I had to bring was my toiletries and remaining clothes.

Footsteps scrunch on the grass behind me, prompting me to sneak a glance. Auntie Cel smiled at me and held a mango juice pack in her hand. She gave it to me as she sat in the second swing.

I punctured the hole with the straw and sipped on it as Auntie Cel says, "Are you ready to move to America tonight?" I looked around the place I called home, practically my whole life. Where my dad's memories flourished. I sniffed, "I don't think I want to leave the place dad was."

She nodded, "It'll be tough in the beginning but, you'll be able to adjust just as fine." I didn't answer but, Auntie Cel pats my shoulder, "We have to go in an hour, I'll come back outside again to let you know."

She walked away from the swings and my phone gets a notification.

Mom: Hey, have a safe flight to SF. I'll have a driver pick you guys up.

Me: You won't be coming to the airport?

Mom: I won't be able to. I have to meet with a counselor at the university, I'm sorry Nova. I'll be there at the house for dinner.

My fingers typed, "Ok." But it wanted to type, "You made me move my whole life to a foreign country, leave for a week, and yet you won't even pick up your own daughter at the airport."

I turned off my phone, silencing it as I brushed away my tears for the billionth time today. I ran from the swings, tossing my phone on the ground, towards the big open field at the back of the house. My lungs were weak because I hadn't took care of my health. I knew I would have a coughing fit from running but, I didn't care.

I fell to my knees as my chest tightened. I coughed and coughed,  more tears running down my face. I was hyperventilating—making this my fourth asthma attack this week. I felt around for my inhaler in my pocket but, I couldn't find it. I groaned from the phlegm, and the tight feeling of my chest. I looked to the sky as a tear flowed down the side of my eye, can't you take me with you dad? I could feel my airways block, and my breathing became more labored the more I sat on the grass. I laid on the grass instead of making my way back to the house because I had no reason to. Dad isn't here anymore.

Auntie Cel screamed for my name, "Nova! Nova! Are you ok? Ken, get her inhaler!" She ran to my side and sat me up with her arm. She looks at my flushed face and cries, "Ken! Get her inhaler now!" Auntie Cel takes her fan and fans my face as I struggled to breathe. Uncle Len bolts to the other side as he tilts my head up, putting my inhaler between my lips. He says, "Deep breaths." I breathed out and he pushed the canister down—emitting the medicine. He takes the inhaler out and shakes it before putting it into my mouth, "Again."

I took a deep breath in and out before he pushed the can down. I coughed out the mucus onto the grass as Auntie Cel pats my back. Auntie Cel hugged me as my arms lay limp, "Why did you do that? Are you trying to die?"

I sobbed on her shoulder, "I don't want to leave dad." Uncle Ken and Auntie Cel look at each other as she tries to comfort me.

No one could.

...

A year ago...

I walked off the plane onto Thailand soil or airport ground. Auntie Cel and Uncle Ken appeared behind me and she asked, "Are you excited to be home after 8 years?"

I sighed as I looked around the airport, "I don't know how I feel yet. Is mom coming to pick us up?"

Uncle Ken shook his head, "She hired a driver." I rolled my eyes, "Of course," and begun to walk to the exit with my backpack.

...

We were all in the car, making our way to the house and I looked out the window at a new Bangkok. I hadn't traveled here since I moved to San Francisco—the place I'd thought I would spend the rest of my life.

My phone pinged and I received a text from Mom:

Mom: You'll be attending Kocher High School. Starting on Monday. Here's what it looks like.

Image*

I sighed as I opened Google and typed: Kocher High School. The first article that popped up was about a boy group? Pff what is this?

Article: The esteemed highschool heartthrobs of Kocher High School known as F4 are as handsome as they come.

I scrolled down the page and saw a picture of the boys—all of them looked strikingly familiar. I zoomed into all of them and I realized it was the Ren's friends. They go to Kocher? I read their names one by one: Thyme Paramaanantra, Renrawin Aira, Kavin Taemiyaklin Kittiyangkul, Methas Jarustiwa.

I look out the window, frustrated, I bet you knew about this mom. I bumped my head against the window, as my heart beats faster at the thought that I would see him again after all these years. Do I still have this silly crush on him? Yes...

Auntie Cel turned around in her seat and asked, "Are you excited for your new school?"

I smiled, "Ready as I'll ever be."

...

Note:

Thank you for sticking around after no updates for 2 weeks. I'm sorry about that hehe. This is where I'm going to end the flashbacks. This story is so poorly sequenced LOL. I will continue with 2 chapters per post but, focusing on the main plot. I don't want to write about her old life at SF because it's just going to be a ton of filler, I hope y'all understand. Thank you for over 3K views and for voting!

Dani :)