Pranks and Deceit

I got discharged the morning after but, they wrapped my foot tightly to immobilize it. My phone wasn't ringing from any calls or texts because they believed my lie. I was sleeping over at Gorya's house; even though she was sleeping in a hospital bed.

I held her hand as she slept, and Kaning was by my side as I waited for Ren. He went to drop my dress and his suit off at the dry cleaners. Kaning asked, "How are you?" I sniffed as I looked at her, "I'm doing ok. Still rattled but, at least I didn't get too hurt."

Kaning looked at my ankle, covered by really long black sweatpants as she asked, "How are you going to explain that to your mom?"

I sighed, "Mom will be pissed I didn't tell her...I honestly don't know what to say." I looked down at my wrapped ankle, tucked in Nike slides.

"You don't think she'll question why you didn't call her first thing?"

"I just won't make my limp noticeable."

Kaning looked dubious about my plan and I assured her, "That's why I have these sweatpants on, to cover the bulkiness."

She shook her head, "What are you going to do with the perpetrators?"

Talay. Those boys who helped him hurt me, Ren, and Gorya. The answer is obvious. It should be obvious but, they've suffered enough. I've suffered enough. "I...don't want to press charges. It's more of a headache and will only push them to retaliate. Involve our parents and they won't understand, they'll want to punish them because they hurt us. But, that won't encourage F4 to right their wrongs. Each of them needs to take accountability. Ren knows this and he promised he would."

Kaning didn't understand as she asked, "Why are you letting them go unpunished? They should be asking for your forgiveness."

The beeps of the monitors filled the room as I thought about them. I should be mad, I should be enraged at them for kidnapping me and Gorya. For trying to pin Gorya against me. But, I couldn't do it. I'd never feel fulfilled acting the same way as what they so adamantly believed: that we were power-hungry monsters.

"They paid their dues now and back then."

I looked at Kaning and said, "What's the point of pressing charges? Everyone knows they wouldn't stand a chance against us. They're disadvantaged by a million percent."

My eyes trailed to Gorya's sleeping form as I said, "I get no satisfaction from hurting people whose suffering. They've tried to seek justice and all they got was shame and debt. The only form of justice they could get was through us. Do I agree with it? Of course not."

My throat bobbed, "But I understand them. You have to create a cause for an effect to happen...and it did. Ren told me P'Thyme would apologize and take responsibility as well as everyone in F4."

Kaning stayed silent. I'll bet she's angry at my lack of wanting to fight. I bet everyone is. They think I'm too good, too kind. But, I am above violence, I've always been and always will be. As I glance at my friend, I know she's hurting too. We felt equally as useless. I stood from my chair, stumbling as I grabbed the corner of the bed frame. Kaning, immediately, got up and ran to my side, "Be careful, You might fall."

I smiled and adjusted my footing before engulfing her in my arms, "We're okay. I'm okay, and Gorya's going to be okay too."

Kaning chuckled as she rubs my back, hugging me just as tightly, "I should be comforting you. Not the other way around."

"Well, I beat you to it."

She broke our hug and shook her head, "There's always a competition with you." I winked at her as I sat back down in the chair.