Epilogue

One year later

Lily

"Go Lily!" Paige cheers from her seat as Max and I head to the center of the dance floor to take our first dance as a married couple.

I have a sense of déjà vu wash over me as this is the same thing I said to Paige when she was taking her first dance with Oliver and I can't help but turn and smile at her before I come to rest my hands loosely around Max's neck as he rests his behind my back. Looking over Max's shoulder, I can see that it is now dark outside, and the moon glistens down on the vineyard and our house in the distance, making the land look serene. We've now called this place our home for over three years now and it only seemed right to have our wedding here. It would have been nice to follow the family's tradition of having a wedding at Max's birth home, but even now the memories of what has happened there are still too raw. This place is new and untainted by the past, which will allow us to look back on our wedding with only pleasant thoughts.

"You ready for this, Mrs. King?" Max asks lovingly as his emerald eyes gaze into mine, a small smile fixed upon his face.

Brushing my hand against the nape of his neck, I lightly nod my head. "I'm ready, Mr. King."

Max gives a signal to the wedding band and after a few seconds, the sweet melody of instruments playing fills the marquee, which is soon accompanied by the soft tone of the singer doing a rendition of Ed Sheeran. It was an easy song for us to choose for our first dance as the lyrics speak about reconnecting with another and looking toward the future together. Ever since we reconnected at Paige's wedding all those years ago, Max and I have done just this, looking at a future of us together, getting to experience everything a couple should, even when forces were out there trying to stop us. But we pushed through this and in ways has strengthened us, showing that we can weather through any storm that may come our way. Max sings against my ear, making me shiver. I can tell that he means every word he is singing to me and it makes me fall in love with him even more.

We slowly sway around the dance floor, our guests smiling as they watch and I glimpse my mom at the table dabbing her eyes with a tissue. Our eyes connect briefly and she gives me a reassuring look, which lets me know they are happy tears. It's not the first set of tears that she has shed today, so it doesn't worry me. She cried when she saw me in my dress, then when she walked me down the aisle, and when the officiator announced us as husband and wife. I was holding tears back myself when Mom and I were making our way from the house to the ceremony. I always knew that it would be hard not having my dad here to give me away, but those first few steps affected me more than I thought it would. My lips turn downward as my mind thinks of this again.

"You okay?" Max asks softly, bringing me back to the present.

"Sorry. I was just thinking about my dad."

"You don't have to apologize, love. It's understandable that he's in your thoughts today."

"I just wish he was here, you know?"

"I'm sure he is."

Max saying this comforts me. I've always wanted to believe that he could be watching over me even more so today. I rest my head against Max's shoulder and quietly continue to dance with him.

By the end of the song, the marquee erupts with applause and cheers and Paige comes over and hugs us both. "That was so beautiful, you two."

"Thanks."

The band starts up with another song, a little more upbeat in rhythm, and Paige squeals, grabbing my hand. "I love this song! You can go now Max, this dance is mine and Lily's."

Oh, but I was enjoying dancing in Max's arms.

"Please," she begs, already swaying to the song. "You need to have a dance with the maid of honor. It's tradition."