Chapter 24

Lily

I'm thankful when 5 p.m. finally comes around and I can shut my shop. I've been excited about going to Max's place all day, as I can't stop thinking about his promise of taking me in the shower later.

I know Suzanne has clocked onto my cheerful mood ever since I came back from the funeral and has been teasing me like my mom would if she were here herself. Though, I find I don't really mind because I'm just happy that despite all the negative things that have been going on, my connection with Max is becoming stronger with each day. Because of this, a part of me wants to ask Max where he sees things going between us, but I also don't want to scare him away. After all, he told me the day after the wedding he wasn't looking for anything serious since he broke up with Sarah.

I also still don't know what I'd say to Paige if Max and I decided to date exclusively. I've evaded talking about my time spent with him when we talk on the phone while she's in Rome on her honeymoon with Oliver. Though, I feel guilty for doing this as Paige and I never keep secrets from each other. I'm just hoping that if she does find out it won't ruin our friendship.

"So do I need to ask what you are getting up to tonight or can I assume it will be spent with Max?" Suzanne asks jovially, breaking me from my inner thoughts.

I don't want to give much away because Callie is standing with us for once instead of running out of the shop the moment her chores are done. I give a tight-lipped smile and unlock my car. "All I'm going to say is that it's going to be a good evening."

She releases a hearty laugh, which causes her eyes to crinkle at the corners. "Good."

Callie rolls her eyes as she stands next to Suzanne. "I can't believe you get a Greek God to have sex with, and the best I'm probably going to get tonight is with some guy behind the bar."

Suzanne and I quickly share a look before I realize my mouth is hanging open and shut it. I gaze at Callie and give a soft smile. "I'm sure you could find yourself a good guy. There are plenty of decent men out there. You just have to look in the right places."

She laughs, flashing her overly white teeth. "Yes, but more than half of those 'good guys' will be complete bores. They need a bit of edge, which is exactly what I'll find at the bar."

"Hmm," Suzanne responds, pursing her lips.

Unaware of Suzanne's disapproving tone, Callie pats her arm. "See, Suzanne agrees." She then fluffs her pixie cut and stretches her arms above her head. "Anyway, I'm gonna head off. I need at least two hours to perfect this to stand out at the bar tonight," she says, gesturing her hand down her body.

Suzanne and I say goodbye and when Callie walks away with her heels clicking on the sidewalk, I open my car door and lean against it. "So, what are you doing this evening?"

"I'm going to visit your mom for a catch up, seeing as Gerry is out of the city today," she says, referring to her husband. "Rest assured, we will gossip like old ladies about your new man when we take the dogs for their walk."

I tap my head against the car door. "Oh, God. I wish I never asked now."

"Ah, don't worry, Lily. I'm sure we'll eventually run out of things to say about him. But I'll definitely talk about how handsome he is." Her eyes glaze over and she fans herself. "If only I was twenty years younger."

I snort and lift off the door. "I feel like you'd eat him alive if you were together."

"Absolutely," she says, licking her lips.

My eyes go wide at her wayward thoughts. "Okay. I'm, er, gonna go now."

The air fills with her laughter and she gives me a quick hug. "All right, honey. I'll see you tomorrow."