Chapter 32

Lily

With the bed sheet wrapped safely around my body, I tiptoe my way across the floor and part the silk drapes and gaze out at the city, which is just beginning to come to life for another day. I still can't get over how beautiful Paris is and I've pinched my arm more than once, thinking that I'm surely dreaming. I never imagined myself being here with Max, and even put up a protest when he first asked me to come with him, not wanting to distract him from his work. But from the serious look on his face and him voicing his reluctance in leaving me in the same State as Sarah, I could tell that he was worried about my safety and agreed to come. Sighing as I look at the Eiffel Tower in the distance, I know I made the right decision. The entire time I have been here with Max has been heavenly and I haven't had to look over my shoulder once, worrying that Sarah may be watching me and plotting her next move.

Between Max's work here and sharing meals with his colleagues in the evening, we've spent every spare minute we have exploring Paris together, including visiting The Louvre Museum and seeing the famous Mona Lisa painting, cruising on the River Seine under the stars, and going to the Opera to see Swan Lake. Having the chance to relax and just be with each other has been exactly what we needed and I'm sad that it is soon going to end and we'll be heading back to Oregon, uncertain if I will still be in danger. My mom has tried to ease my concerns about coming home when we've FaceTime'd and has said that Sarah hasn't reared her ugly head since the police put her under surveillance, but it still doesn't completely convince me that Sarah is done with us. I just hope that when I do come home, it won't be long until I can move back into my apartment so that I can try to get back to my normal life and at least when I do, I will no longer have to see the destruction Sarah left in her wake as my mom surprised me by cleaning the mess away with Suzanne. They have both been amazing while I've been away and have kept the shop running smoothly, even with Callie messing up in the background. I'm amazed at how one person can be so lazy and clumsy at the same time and from the chats I've had with my mom about her, I don't think that Suzanne can put up with her much longer and if I'm being honest neither can I.

The sound of a bicycle's bell ringing on the street below captures my attention and I look down in time to see a man waving his fist and shouting what I can only guess are expletives to the cyclist speeding past him. I chuckle to myself. Only in Paris.

"The French know how to cuss." Max yawns as he joins me by the window and wraps his arms around me.

I lean back against his firm chest. "Hmm. Maybe more than us Americans."

"Perhaps. But I'd say their swearing is close to their known language of love."

Memories surface of Max speaking fluent French throughout the week and as he did this, I found myself watching his mouth in awe as he spoke perfectly, never missing a beat. It was a talent I didn't know he possessed, and I found it rather attractive to see him do this.

"And what would the French be saying exactly in their language of love?"

He spins me around, catching me unaware, and I squeal from the shock of it. "Tout ce que tu es est tout ce dont j'aurai besoin."

Man, that's hot. I lick my lips. "And what does that mean?"

His lips quirk up and he slowly shakes his head. "It's a secret."

I roll my eyes. "For all I know, you could have merely commented on the weather."

"Trust me, it was something nice about you."

I run my hands up his chest and kiss the corner of his mouth. "Well, that's good at least."

"Maybe I should talk more to you in French if this is the reaction I get," he murmurs, running his nose along mine.