Chapter 15

Lily

I close my shop and head straight to the local grocery store to do my shopping. As I pick up a tomato and squeeze it to test if it's ripe enough, I feel my phone buzz in my jeans pocket. I put the tomato in my grocery cart and pull out my cell phone.

Unknown: I heard your date didn't go as planned. I hope you're all right?

I stare at my phone in amused wonder.

Me: Max? How on earth did you get my number?

I hold my phone in my right hand and roll my grocery cart forward to look at the fruit when I receive another text.

Max: I asked Paige for it. I said I needed to contact you about a gift we're getting for them and that I would also check in on you for her.

I shake my head and grin. He's lucky I was already thinking of buying them a crystal candelabra to go on their dining room table for when they get back from their honeymoon. It's nice that Paige has asked Max to look out for me, though she needn't have worried. I move my cart aside so a woman can get to the fruit section, and then open up a blank message and begin typing.

Me: Just so you know, you're paying for half of it. You can tell Paige not to panic. I'm over it.

Max: I will and I'm glad that you're okay.

Me: Thank you.

Max: I was thinking of ordering takeout and would be nice to share it with a friend. Would you like to join me?

I smile as I read this.

Me: I'd love to, but I need to finish my shopping first before I come over.

Max: That's fine, I need to pop in the shower anyway. Do you want to come to my place around 8?

When I read the text, my mind quickly wanders as I think about Max showering naked with hot steam all around him. I can feel my neck get warm just from the thought and I lightly shake my head to rid the image from my mind. I need to stop reacting to him like this. We've agreed to just be friends. When I re-read the text, I see he has added his address at the bottom and I immediately note that it's an expensive neighborhood.

Me: 8 p.m. sounds perfect. I'll see you then.

My cell phone remains silent, so I put it back in my jeans pocket and carry on moving around the store, picking up the rest of my groceries. When I arrive at the alcohol aisle, I decide I should bring something for him, seeing as he's inviting me over. I head to the wine section to look at what to get. It would be hilarious if I brought his own brand, but then again, it'd be even funnier if I bought his main competitor in the city. I grab a bottle of Pinot noir made by Bella Vida and put it in my cart while grinning, as I know it'll wind him up when he sees it.

 I grab a bottle of Pinot noir made by Bella Vida and put it in my cart while grinning, as I know it'll wind him up when he sees it

My mouth parts when my car stops on the road which leads to Max's house. The neighborhood he lives in is full of wealth from what I've seen so far, and his house matches this equally. Behind the large metal gate stands a modern wood and brick house. I pull my car up to the gate and press the intercom. It buzzes and as I wait for Max to answer; I spy a camera above the gate, which has a good view of my car. It makes me wonder if Max has had it for a while, or if he's recently installed it thanks to his crazy ex. Less than five seconds later, I hear the repetitive noise of the buzzing cease and a deep voice comes through the device.