Chapter 8

Max

I'm standing outside my parent's house swinging my car keys around my little finger, waiting for Paige and Oliver to appear with their suitcases so I can drive them to the airport. At this rate, they'll be lucky to make it to their flight on time. The familiar sound of my phone receiving a message chimes so I extract my cell from my suit pocket to see who it could be. My scalp prickles when I note that the number is not registered under my contacts. Going against my better judgment, I open up the message anyway.

Unknown: You can't keep fucking ignoring me, Max. I'm supposed to be your future wife, or have you forgotten that?

I run my free hand down my face. Of course it's from Sarah. When I left her, I had to block her number after she harassed me day and night and then she began using different numbers that I didn't recognize to reach me. I've already had to change my number once and I've asked my friends and colleagues more than once to keep my new number to themselves. I don't know how she's found this new number out. Sighing, I quickly block the number.

The front door opens, and I put my phone away and work on relaxing my posture to not arouse suspicion and worry my family. I expect to see Paige and Oliver walking out the door, but I see my mom walk out hastily in her white satin dressing gown. Her short brown hair blows behind her as she paces towards me with purpose. "It's a good thing you haven't left yet. I just found this in the bedroom Lily was staying in. After you drop the love birds off at the airport, can you swing by the florists and give this to her?"

I look at the item that's in her hands and see that she's referring to a measly hairbrush. I roll my eyes. "It's a fucking hairbrush, Mom. I doubt she's missing it."

"A) Mind your language. B) How do you know she's not missing it?"

"Easy. Because I wouldn't."

"And that's where you're wrong. If you were a woman, you'd understand that a hairbrush can be a lifeline. Now, be a good boy and deliver it for me."

I huff. "Fine. Give it here."

She hands me the small hairbrush, and I open the passenger door of my Chevy Colorado and throw it on the seat. Even though I shouldn't, I have a thrill go through me at the thought of seeing Lily again.

As my mom walks back to the house, Paige and Oliver make it outside with their luggage. "About damn time!" I call.

Paige sticks her tongue out at me. "Sorry bro, had to say goodbye to Dad."

I raise an eyebrow. "And that took fifteen minutes?"

She shuffles on the spot while Oliver hugs my mom. "Not exactly."

Gross.

I wait for Paige to hug our mom goodbye, and once they're both in the truck, I give my mom a kiss on the cheek and get in the driver's seat. Before I start the engine, I turn around and eye the happy couple up. "Are you sure you have everything? Because once we're on the main roads, I'm not turning around," I warn.

"Yep, I'm sure. We went through the checklist," Paige mentions enthusiastically.

"Good."

I turn back around in my seat, turn on the engine and floor it out of the grounds.