Chapter 36

Lily

I've had knots in my stomach all day from thinking about spending this afternoon with Max and his family. With Paige now being home from her honeymoon with Oliver, we've agreed to tell everyone that we're dating, but even though I know my mind is just overthinking things, I'm worried that Paige could have a problem with Max and I being together. She'll undoubtedly be worried about Max being with me so soon after ending his engagement with Sarah and may think that this is some sort of rebound, but I hope that when she sees us together, she'll see that we're serious about being with each other and aren't just fooling around. At least we'll have Taylor and Peter there, which will help with my nerves, and I know we can count on their support if things turn sour.

A loud shattering echoes around the shop, breaking me from my worrying thoughts and my hand pauses with the cash in it from my sale of tulips and scan the shop for the cause of the noise.

"Shit," Callie curses as she looks down to where shards of glass are laying on the floor.

I sigh despondently. That's another broken vase to add to her growing collection.

While she continues to stare down at the broken glass looking like she doesn't want to deal with the mess, Suzanne comes up behind the counter and grabs a brush and hazard sign. "Don't worry. I'll help clean it up."

"Thank you," I respond, defeated, as I get back to wrapping up the sale.

I watch out of the corner of my eye as Suzanne does her best to clear up the mess so the customers can access that area while Callie just slides the glass lazily to Suzanne with her foot. I wonder how one person can be so lazy and give the lady her change and flowers, thanking her for her purchase before grabbing a small dustpan and brush, heading over to the mess myself. "Callie, can you please help Suzanne properly? Using your foot will not make the cleanup any faster. You can use these," I tell her as I hand her the dustpan and brush.

"Fine," she huffs.

Her blatant laziness and ignorant attitude is making me feel better about looking for a new assistant. I watch as she bends down and tries to balance on her heels as she scoops up broken pieces of glass. I catch Suzanne's roll of the eyes at Callie's lack of enthusiasm, and I silently nod my head in response, knowing that she's reaching her breaking point just like I am. Even though I was hoping to keep Callie on until I found a replacement, I can't risk upsetting Suzanne anymore. Nor can I afford to have any more of my stock destroyed. If I stopped to add the amount of revenue I've lost since Callie arrived, I'm sure it would reach a hefty number. It looks like I'll be letting her go sooner than I had originally planned.

When the last customer leaves the store, I turn the sign to closed and lock the door with my key. The loyal worker Suzanne is, she's already tidying the floor, clearing away the rogue fallen petals and leaves. I go over to her and ask if she'll be all right for five on her own while I take Callie for her talk. "Sure. Make sure you give it to her," she whispers back with amusement in her eyes.

"I'll try."

I leave Suzanne to get back to her sweeping and head over to Callie on the other side of the shop, who is leaning against the counter inspecting her manicured nails. Her eyes idly make their way up to mine, and she smacks her gum in her mouth. "I know, I know. Clean up time."

"Actually, would you mind following me in the office? I have something I want to talk to you about."

"Sure. If it gets me out of cleaning." I raise my eyebrows and she falters. "Of course I'm just kidding."

I shake my head, irritated, as I lead the way to the office and sit behind my desk. Callie soon walks in behind me, and I ask her to shut the door and take a seat. She does as I ask, but slumps in the chair and puts one foot on the edge of the desk.