Chapter 54

Lily

"He's awake!"

A collective sound of cheers of joy and crying fills the waiting room as I look at Max's family. They've been waiting for this news for so long and I can see that it means so much to them to know that he's finally awake. William embraces Beth, who is uncontrollably crying in his arms and his own eyes are closed as he comforts her. Taylor is sitting on the chair in the corner smiling up at me with tear-filled eyes and Paige kisses Oliver in elation before running over to me and hugging me tightly.

"I knew he'd wake up. I just knew he would. He's a fighter."

I squeeze her back and give a choked laughter. "Me too."

When we part, we're both a blubbering mess and I let Paige go back to her husband, who envelopes her in a hug and kisses the side of her head.

"How is he?" William asks.

I wipe the happy tears from my eyes and answer him. "He seems good. The doctors are doing some checks on him now."

"Can we go see him?" Beth asks, standing next to him.

"Yes. He's been asking after you. All of you," I say, looking at them.

"William, take me to my son."

He kisses her palm and nods in agreement. They each give me a hug before they leave the waiting room and I collapse into a chair next to Taylor, feeling tired suddenly.

"Does he remember what happened to him?" Taylor asks.

"Yes. There are bits and pieces towards the end that he's blurry on, but I guess that's to be expected from being on heavy medication."

"Is he is any pain?" Paige asks, looking at me.

"He's been trying to hide it, but I can tell he's in some pain. He wanted me to stay with him a little longer, but when I noticed him keep wincing when he was moving, I told him I was getting the doctors."

"Good. He needs to take it easy."

"Yeah," Taylor agrees. "He's had major surgery. He needs to look after himself so he can get out of here."

"Hmm. I think I have had enough of hospitals to last a lifetime," I say wearily.

"You look really tired," Oliver observes, speaking up for the first time.

"I'm fine," I yawn.

"Lily, you've hardly had any decent sleep for days now. Max is awake and safe. You can close your eyes and get some more shut eye."

"How can I sleep now that he's awake?"

"He's not going anywhere," Taylor says softly. "He's going to be busy with the doctors and having each of us see him. You're not going to miss anything."

I guess they both have a point. Knowing that Max is out of his coma and with his parents brings me some relief, and I know that they'll update me if there is any new information. Plus, it would be nice to no longer have a pounding headache from the crying and disturbed sleep I've been having. "Maybe a few minutes won't hurt," I say sleepily.

"You can use my shoulder as a pillow," Taylor offers.

"Thanks."

I rest my head back on her shoulder and listen to the three of them talking quietly for a while before my body grows more fatigued and I drift off to sleep.